• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

key won't turn, ignition switch, 2001

ferg xj

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ Sport 2 door

Put key in; it won't turn in either direction. Having replaced the steering column and ignition switch in my '02 TJ (attempted theft), I'm familiar with the engineering.

I've tried both of my keys; neither work.

ETA: the steering column is not locked.

I presume that something has broken inside the lock mechanism. How can I remove the cylinder without being able to turn it to push the release button?

Should I just call a locksmith?

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
fixed: key won't turn, ignition switch, 2001

I called AAA. They dispatched a locksmith. The locksmith just bumped the key with a hammer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping) to free the tumblers and allow the key to turn.

He said he could put a new ignition in for $250, but since I have a spare, and I can get a replacement for $50 I declined.

Lesson learned: next time, use a hammer.

My jeep sat at work for 2 days while I waited for a locksmith, he only charged me $110.00 I have an 00 no chip in the key. He did say if I had a chip it would be a lot more. Called every locksmith in town all booked for 2-3 days seems like a pretty good business to be in.

Back