• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AJ’s rock slider install questions.

REDDOGG.XJ

Fire up the roof.
I started to install my sliders today and they look great a real quality product but they didn’t quite fit the way I thought they would. Checking out the instructions on his site didn’t answer my questions either that said the pinch seam support comes past the fender and is keeping it from going all the way up. Did anyone cut the fender or cut the pinch seam support?

I'm having a hard time seeing what you are talking about. Are you talking about shaving down the pinch seam some where the support legs hit it? You could probably trim it a tad so the legs clear the pinch seam and the horizontal part of the angle iron pinch seam support is flush with the bottom of the jeep body. Does that make sense?

Hold a straight edge on the seam and you will see where it needs to be persuaded. I used a blunt punch to make the edge match. I think once you get a straight edge on it you will see what it needs.

The fender sits lower than the rocker so the pinch seem support hits the bottom of the fender before it bottoms out on the rocker.

The fender sits lower than the rocker so the pinch seem support hits the bottom of the fender before it bottoms out on the rocker.

Can you take a picture? You have to notch the pinch seem for the bars that connect to the 'frame rail' but that is not what you are asking is it?

Do you have it set all the way back so the rear frame rail leg is against the leaf spring box?

Those pinch seams seem to be a bit erratic from a QC standpoint. I had to massage mine a bit to make it fit up. I also ended up putting a jack under the rail to snug it up tight when drilling the holes.

I installed AJs sliders a few weeks back and just tested them at Winterfest.

You do need to use a blunt punch (or in my case an angle grinder) to modify the spot weld seam where the main supports go past it. AJ builds them on a jig so they are all plumbed the same. The problem is that XJs are notorious for being uneven both in the spot weld seam and the actualy "frame" area of the chassis.
Make the modifications to the spot weld seam.
Mark holes so they are proper position.
Drill Holes
Mount main support plated first.
Lastly, play with them so they line up and put the spot weld seam bolts through and tighten.
Afterwards I put a tack weld on all the main frame bolts so they wouldn't come out, then sprayed all the bolts with paint.

I guess I got lucky. No cutting or hammering for mine. It bolted right up. I would have liked to see a tad more metal on the pinch seam after drilling the holes, but they have held fine.

I guess I got lucky. No cutting or hammering for mine. It bolted right up. I would have liked to see a tad more metal on the pinch seam after drilling the holes, but they have held fine.

Thats why I modified the seam on those parts, I didnt like the amount of material between where the holes would be and the edge, so I shaved those two spots till I had what I felt was a good amount of material.

...Afterwards I put a tack weld on all the main frame bolts so they wouldn't come out, then sprayed all the bolts with paint.

I do like your idea of tack welding the main bolts. Two of mine became loose after some very hard hits and they have no way of being tightened now. A few simple tack welds would have prevented that. Good plan.

Those pinch seams seem to be a bit erratic from a QC standpoint. I had to massage mine a bit to make it fit up. I also ended up putting a jack under the rail to snug it up tight when drilling the holes.

X2 - I used a couple of bolts with washers to get a bit more grip on the pinch seam. There were a couple spots where there wasn't enough room to drill a hole without turning it into a "slot".

You do need to use a blunt punch (or in my case an angle grinder) to modify the spot weld seam where the main supports go past it. AJ builds them on a jig so they are all plumbed the same. The problem is that XJs are notorious for being uneven both in the spot weld seam and the actualy "frame" area of the chassis.
Make the modifications to the spot weld seam.
Mark holes so they are proper position.
Drill Holes
Mount main support plated first.
Lastly, play with them so they line up and put the spot weld seam bolts through and tighten.
Afterwards I put a tack weld on all the main frame bolts so they wouldn't come out, then sprayed all the bolts with paint.

I was gonna have him PM you Austin but you beat me to it! I'd say we both tested out our sliders thoroughly at WF. :D

Back