• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Critique my sliders please

Destroyer

NAXJA Forum User
I was working on some sliders for the XJ over the weekend and this is what I came up with:

CIMG3574.jpg

CIMG3576.jpg

CIMG3578.jpg

CIMG3580.jpg

I am not so much worried about the mounting system, I think I have a good idea what I want there from reading others' posts, but I can't make up my mind on the door guard tube. The outside of the door guard is 4" off the outside edge of the rail or about 2" off the body line running down the door and angles up from the rail at 20*. There is about a .5" gap to the bottom of the open door. For reference, the main slider is 2"x2"x.25" wall tube and the door guard is 1.66"x.140" wall pipe.

Any advice is appreciated, as this is my first real fabrication attempt.

Thanks
-Destroyer

They look good to me. I would have made them come straight out instead of angled up. If you add some support to the center it should be fine.

Straight makes a nice pivot off of obstacles.

Needs a couple strut pieces between the inner and outer tube, and that's some serious weight in heavy overkill metal thickness.

I rate it a 5 on a scale of 1-10. Of course you presented an incomplete project.

PS - I prefer the angle, they work just fine as a pivot point.

Ya some gussets or something to strengthen the middle.
X2 on the angle i think that looks sharp!

They look good to me. I would have made them come straight out instead of angled up. If you add some support to the center it should be fine.

Straight makes a nice pivot off of obstacles.

X2 my JCR's are great for going around off camber turns. I got to test them out this weekend!

X2 my JCR's are great for going around off camber turns. I got to test them out this weekend!

Nice!

As far as the angle, don't get me wrong, it looks sharp! To me, the point is to keep obstacles as far away as possible from your jeep. Angled up like that gives little room for error. Another point is that if they take a good hit it's going to put more stress on the mounting points instead of a nice square impact.
So I guess it all depends on how you mount them IMO.

Just a thought.

I know there are a few people that make them angled up. Tnt is one. IMO AJ and JCR's design was an improvement.

Nice!

As far as the angle, don't get me wrong, it looks sharp! To me, the point is to keep obstacles as far away as possible from your jeep. Angled up like that gives little room for error. Another point is that if they take a good hit it's going to put more stress on the mounting points instead of a nice square impact.
So I guess it all depends on how you mount them IMO.

Just a thought.

I know there are a few people that make them angled up. Tnt is one. IMO AJ and JCR's design was an improvement.

I completely agree they look good but i like them straight out. Its just a personal opinion though. I say if you build em like that and they don't work for ya you can cut the tube off and start again! :cheers:

Can you post some pics of youe mounts, as I'm building a set real soon, although i'm building mine out of 2x5 to use as air tanks as well.

'Looks nice, I like the up angle but I think you should probably have a little more clearance to the bottom of the door. Because of the angle a hit from either the bottom or the side will tend to push the slider hoop up. It only has to move 5/8" to make it impossible to open the doors on that side. Just my random thoughts.

I am not so much worried about the mounting system, I think I have a good idea what I want there from reading others' posts, but I can't make up my mind on the door guard tube. The outside of the door guard is 4" off the outside edge of the rail or about 2" off the body line running down the door and angles up from the rail at 20*. There is about a .5" gap to the bottom of the open door. For reference, the main slider is 2"x2"x.25" wall tube and the door guard is 1.66"x.140" wall pipe.
Any advice is appreciated, as this is my first real fabrication attempt.
Thanks
-Destroyer
You should be,thats what counts the most!!

I think they look great, throught some support in the center and call it good

I would like to rebuild mine angled like that. I assume you tied them into the pinch seem...

does anyone have some close ups of how they tie into the pinch seem.

Mat

Last edited:
They look good 2 me! Tie them into the pinch weld and do yourself a favor and build them so you can remove them. I've had to remove mine a couple of times. The metal thickness is just right.

My tubes come off of my 2x2, straight out about 5"

If you can weld why not cut out your rockers and weld the box steel into them? It will be much stronger and will help to stiffen your chasis.

-Alex

OP: i like the angle, but it needs some material in the middle to connect the round to the square. i might be fabbing up my own set of these here pretty soon, and they will probably look pretty similar to yours.

alex: is there a writeup for that somewhere on here? what size box fits in there?

Madxj.com has several rocker replacement writeups. Nothing fits perfectly but it's a good way to go for many, provided you tie the rocker into the uni-rail as well.

OP: I likey. My worry would be that if you land on that tube hard enough you are going to eat up your 1/2" clearance and have trouble opening the doors. As others have said - add some center pieces between main slider and tubing.
I personally like the sweep & upwards angle. Looks sharp.

I dig it! I want to do something similar but with a rocker replacement. I mainly want it for a nice step so people can get into my 6" lifted jeep with corbeau baja ultras. The protection is nice too :)

Back