• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what should i do?

championjeep

NAXJA Forum User
ok my 98 xj has a grinding noise coming from the rear and it whines making left turns. i just put new wheelbearings on front and back checked all ujoints their fine. took it to a mechanic let them drive it and he said it was a carrier bearing or pinion bearing. its the chrystler rearend by the way. i know nothing about working on differentials so should i just look for a entire rearend at the junkyards or try to find a place to put new bearings in my differential. anyone have a rough estimate what having this done might run me? this is my dd i need help bad. thanks

I think you be better off having the bearings replaced. It should be any easier job then replacing the entire rearend. The rearend you get might have more problems then just a bearing. A tranny shop should be able to do it if you don't have the time or know how.

Diff bearings are about $300-500 at a shop. A different axle is about $150 and can be installed in a few hours with basic hand tools. I just slapped in a new axle and it runs fine.

i called a junkyard and they said $325 for a rearend if i bring my old one. guess ill check some shops tommarrow to see what a bearing job will cost. this sucks.

I bought a complete loaded carrier for a Dana 35 when I broke a spider gear from Jawsgear.com for $100.00 it came with all the races and bearings.
you might have to call them...I don't see anything on their website right now.

Back