• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is there an AT tire that is good in the mud

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of getting some mud tires but most of my driving is on the street. Is there a mud tire that will last longer than 15,000, or an AT that will do good in the mud as well as the street?

bfg muds wear like iron, meaning they last really well on the street, 30k+ miles. Otherwise, bfg a/t's are great all around tires. obviously you can't expect the same performance in the mud from an a/t as from a m/t.

The Cooper ST's are pretty agressive for a AT tire. I have had STT's (MT), and my buddy had ST's. They are pretty gnarly.

~James

Every AT ive seen in the mub just ends up looking like a huge rolling glob of mud.
X2 on BFG mts.

any one know how well the wildcat ext wear on the street?

ive got the dakota m/t's on mine lasted for 3 jeeps had em two+ yrs 30,000+ miles got at least half tread left they are made by cooper and pull really well in the mud. x2 on all terrians clogging in the mud.

Ran BFG at's for years, switched this past yr to the khumo KL 78 clear far better in the mud. wider voids between the 4 lugs on the tire, best all around AT i have ran, and priced right.

i have a set of the old style big o xt's on my truck. they clean out a little better than the bfg at's that i have on my jeep

I have had my 85-90 percent MT/R's in the mud a couple of times, and they do NOT compare to my old 15-20 percent BFG MT's in the mud.

BFG AT's weren't too bad in the mud, but my engine was 4200+ RPM all the time.

(MT's > MT/R's for clarification)

I had STT's on my Toyota, and now I have TruXus MTs on my Cherokee. To be honest, the STT's are WAY better. Once these TruXus's wear out, I will be going back to an STT. I got talked into trying the TruXus tires, and I wish I would have gone with the STT. Better in the mud, better on the road, better traction all around, and they last a lot longer.

~James

truxus tires are great in the mud and rocks but thats about it. i couldn't get any shop t balance them out. they also wear quick as shit too, had mine on for 6-7 months and lost 1/4 of the tread. i have had bfg at's on every jeep i owned and loved em. my only complaint was the mud thou, not the super sticky peanut butter poo poo stuff either. we went on a ride this weekend an a wj with bfg at's had a few spots of trouble when things got a liltte wet and muddy. i'm running bfg km2's right now, and damn do i love em. the clean out super well, i have huge chunks of mud on the roof still. they ride really well for a med tire on the road. the only thing is they are pretty aggressive so they seem to be wearing quickier then the at's.

just my $.02

I ran the mastercraft on my Suzuki they are great tires they barely even lost any tread in two years.( I think they are made by cooper as well as many others) I run Tempra Trailcutter M/T's on my cherokee. They are a cross between an A/T and M/T not to aggresive but they have never let me down. About 20,000 on them and still 1/2 tread left. They are good price wise as well.

Mastercraft Courser CT's....Cheap too!! (Pro Comp tires are made by Mastercraft/Cooper) My buddy has been running them for a while. Very nice!! I bought Goodyear RTS and made it 20 feet up an icy hill....he made it the whole way no problem. Also great in the mud http://www.mastercrafttires.com/htm...urser_CT&search=bySize&twtd=235&artw=75&rd=15
these tires perform way better than buckshots, last about 50,000 miles, and have siping for ice/wet traction. Also, the pic doesn't let you know how big the voids are...they are about a finger width wide and very deep. My buddy says you can hear them a bit but its not nearly as loud as he expected. He got them here (Ohio) for $460 mounted and balanced.

Last edited:
I have 32 12.50 AT's and there ok in the mud. Ive done some mudding with them and they get you through but they get filled with mud and untell you can get to a road and get some speed they stay filled with mud. Once you get going about 30 they clean themselves really well. If your gonna do some heavy mudding dont go with AT's but if your just gonna do light mudding then they would be ok.

Anyone tried the new Goodyear DuraTrac yet? They seem like they'd be a good compromise between an A/T & M/T tire. I looked at some 31's and for $130 each the price is good.

Back