• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Start Up troubles

99_XJ_

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, here recently Ive had some start up problems with my 99 XJ. It turns and there is spark but sometimes i have to floor the gas pedal before she'll start. When she does it revs up to about 3k-3.5k RPM's. Ive done a lot of work to her recently trying to eliminate some of the possibilities. Ive done a tune up consisting of changing plugs, cables dist.cap and rotor. Ive taken off my battery terminals ans brushed em down with a wire brush. I lathered on anti corrosion goo and put felt rings on the battery posts. Ive also noticed that my temp. gauge sometimes stops working but when the engine revs past 4k RPM's it jumps back up for a time. No idea what the problem could be. My last guess is the battery but it checks out good. The only thing about it that gets my attention is that it corrodes A LOT. Every weekend i have to go out and pour a Baking soda/Water mix to clean off the corrosion.

Help is appreciated.

Any check engine light? If so, pull codes and post here for comment.....

Test your throttle position sensor. Clean the idle air control and throttle body of carbon. I'd start there....

You don't have the anticorrosion goo between the battery posts and the cables, do you? It is non-conductive. If the connecting surfaces aren't clean, wipe them with alcohol, mineral spirits, or electrical contact cleaner. Remove any corrosion with scotchbrite or sandpaper. Your wire brush is probably OK too if it's not too coarse. Also do the same with your ground straps/wires.

If your terminals are corroding by the week...it's time for a new battery. Any mechanic will tell you that Jeep's and Dodges are very sensitive to battery issues.

Checked Fuel Pressure..that was OK. No check engine light. Re-cleaned posts, cables no luck. As funny as it sounds, I just replaced a brand new water pump that was faulty and it seemed to fix my temp gauge ordeal. Starts up real well too. That was when the whole thing started is when I had my local jeep dealer replace a water pump that locked up in Nov.

What about your grounds? Electricity requires a full 360 degree circuit. The juice must flow out from the battery (+) to the various functions back to the body (ground) and back to the battery (-).

Back