• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine removal question ***HELP ASAP*** PLZ

cdnabn49

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I have one bolt left to remove and I can't get at - question:

can or should I lower the engine (via hoist) approx 4"-6" with the tranny on a jack to gain access to the Torx bolt for both removal and installation?

ok, I have one bolt left to remove and I can't get at - question:

can or should I lower the engine (via hoist) approx 4"-6" with the tranny on a jack to gain access to the Torx bolt for both removal and installation?

The easiest way I've found to get at the upper bellhousing screws is to simply lower the tailend of the transmission/transfer case on a floor jack and go at it that way. I haven't even disconnected the engine mounts or hooked up a hoist yet!

If you've already connected the hoist and disconnected the engine mounts, try to lower it to somewhere around installed height (or maybe a bit lower,) and lower the tailend of the powertrain. This should give you room to get to the upper bellhousing screws.

They should be threaded 3/8"-16, so secure replacements while you're about it (I know the earlier ones are threaded 3/8"-16, and I'm inclined to believe that didn't change. But, I'm not sure.) Match the length under the head, but get hex head or socket head capscrews (hex heads will be easier to work with, but it's a matter of preference. I just happen to prefer socket heads or studs, but I'm used to working with both.)

When I bought my 90 back from the guy who had bought it from my dad, he had tried to remove the engine and had rounded off the drivers side torx head bolt. I ended up removing both motor mounts and brackets and dropping the engine down to where it rested on the front axle. I was able to get back there and weld a nut to the head of the bolt and it broke loose easily after that. I had no issues with dropping the engine that far other than the motor mounts/brackets interfering.

cool, thanks... I truly appreciate all the help... I have one last Torx bolt and the friggin thing is a Beeeeitch to get at. I will try to lower it further then I did tonight... my creeper cratered... plastic and I went to use it and schnapp! er Kaput!

I took off the motor mounts, and lowered the engine to get at them. I took them out with a wrench. I forget what size but the box end of the wrench fit the bolt and the angle on the wrench made it fit into the area I had to work with.

Back