• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking the axle in 4wd permanently

YEAGS

NAXJA Forum User
Im new to this forum, but ive been reading alot the last few days trying to fix my 4wd and have just replaced the transfer case switch and reconnected all the vacuum lines. it seems to be getting vacuum, and the front shaft turns, not sure if it always did or not. but the front axle wont engage at all. I may have the lines crossed? I know it could be the shift motor on the vacuum actuator but i really dont want to spring to buy a new one so can anyone provide help with how to shim the axle so that it is permanently engaged or maybe provide some light on if theres vacuum problems i might be missing? thanks and btw its an 88 Xj 4.0 with a d30 front and 231 tc

Im new to this forum, but ive been reading alot the last few days trying to fix my 4wd and have just replaced the transfer case switch and reconnected all the vacuum lines. it seems to be getting vacuum, and the front shaft turns, not sure if it always did or not. but the front axle wont engage at all. I may have the lines crossed? I know it could be the shift motor on the vacuum actuator but i really dont want to spring to buy a new one so can anyone provide help with how to shim the axle so that it is permanently engaged or maybe provide some light on if theres vacuum problems i might be missing? thanks and btw its an 88 Xj 4.0 with a d30 front and 231 tc

Swap in a later D30 axle would be your best bet or i think you can convert your axle to a non-vacuum disconnect. Just use the search feature. There should be a little guide to searching somewhere!

Yep, easy to do.

Search for terms like "shim," "shift fork," and "axle disco"

Good luck!

Robert

Thanks for the assist wrenchmonkey!

Thanks again guys found a thread with a link to a guy who did it on his mj and am abt to do away with all the vacuum lines!

I have another question. With the axle locked i no longer need the vacuum lines. Does this mean i dont need the 20 transfer case switch i just bought? instead can i put a drain bolt in where the switch was? that way i can take to switch and get my money back

Thanks

You can take the switch back, if you have an old one to put in its place.

I don't know about just plugging it, I thought the threads were really fine, and would be hard to match.

Dont forget, when you pull the four lines off the switch, the red one is vacuum supply, and you need to plug it.

Even better, trace it back up into the engine compartment, and plug it there.

Robert

Well When I rebuilt the transfer case and put the sye in it came with a plug specifically for that and i misread it thinking it said i had to plug it and get rid of the switch so i misplaced the switch and its been plugged so im thinking i can just put the plug back in. and ya i will plug the red line at the engine. Thanks guy!

Back