• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help!

Mgonzo700

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, yesterday I changed the oil on the jeep and today I cleaned out the air filter box and put a new filter in. When I got the jeep it didnt have a filter at all. Now with the air filter and the airbox closed up it wont start, it starts for about 1 sec then just shuts off like if flooded or so. Please help, it is a 91 Limited with 120,000 miles. Also my battery isnt to good so when it runs out of battery it goes into security mode which is really annoying the highbeams start flashing. Help will be apreciated....Thanks

So it runs if you pull the intake off again? If so Make sure the the previous owner didn't block off the air intake on the front sire of the airbox.

You should get our battery problems sorted.

I don't recall if the 91 still has the ballast resistor. It would be right next to the airbox on the drivers fenders and looks like a white rectangular ceramic piece with a wire on either end. Maybe you knocked the wire loose or cracked the resistor. You can jumper it with piece of wire as a long term fix. Its just there to reduce the fuel pump voltage after the engine starts to reduce pump noise. It was added as some point for noise control and later models don't have this feature.

Edit - Just looked at the 91 wiring schematic and it does have a ballast resistor.

Back