• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shifting problems

vegeta

NAXJA Forum User
Last night me and some friends did a little wheeling. Nothing serious but there was alot of mud and a few hill climbs. When we where almost out I noticed my alt wasn't fully charging. Not a big deal, it's got over 200000 miles on it so it's probably time for a new one. When we went to get on the main road I took it out of 4low and started to take off. It had a really hard time pulling out. I don't think it's shifting out of high gear. It's not showing any codes but I haven't had a chance to look at anything else. Anybody got any ideas?

We're going to need a better description of the problem.

When you say, you "don't think it's shifting out of high gear", you mean the transmission or the transfer case? Do you have a stock Jeep automatic? (AW4)? Did you try putting the transmission selector in 1-2? Is it still acting up?

You might have fried your TCU
sad.gif

Billy

sorry, yeah it's the aw4 and I'm talkiing about high gear in the tranny. I think it's trying to start out in 3rd or 4th instead of first. I moved it around in the driveway today so I could wash it and it seems okay now. Last night as we were coming out of the woods I put the shifter in 1 and it didn't do anything, it stayed in drive. Up till then when I put it in first, it downshifted and stayed there. This was with the tcase(242) in 4low. Im not sure what I could have done to damage the tcu as I didn't get deep enough to get water inside. Could the problem be the nss? It certaintly got covered in mud. I though my alternator not fully charging might be the problem. I've read that later model xjs are kinda sensitive about charging problems.

sorry, yeah it's the aw4 and I'm talkiing about high gear in the tranny. I think it's trying to start out in 3rd or 4th instead of first. I moved it around in the driveway today so I could wash it and it seems okay now. Last night as we were coming out of the woods I put the shifter in 1 and it didn't do anything, it stayed in drive. Up till then when I put it in first, it downshifted and stayed there. This was with the tcase(242) in 4low. Im not sure what I could have done to damage the tcu as I didn't get deep enough to get water inside. Could the problem be the nss? It certaintly got covered in mud. I though my alternator not fully charging might be the problem. I've read that later model xjs are kinda sensitive about charging problems.

Hmmm... definitely not the NSS. Maybe others can chime in with some other ideas.
Billy

Back