• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Little problem, need some help

wac1977

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I had a little problem on my way to work this morning. I had a front hub bearing come apart on me this morning. The drivers side wheel bearing gave way and the wheel then turned pretty hard on me. At first it pulled hard to the right because I was going around a bend in the road as I went across some railroad tracks. I wasn't going that fast and the tracks were some of the smoothest around. It pulled hard enough to put the passengerside tires about three feet into the grass before I had a chance to realize what happened. I then was able to pull it back on the road and was ablt to slow down and miss all the signs on the shoulder and bring it to a stop without putting it in the swamp that is on the side of the road. I had a buddy come tow me back to the shop after having to spring for some Duncan Doughnuts. Not bad for a tow home I guess. I took everything apart hoping it was just the bearing only to find out that the axle shaft broke off as well. It broke where the 36mm nut goes on the shaft. It actually broke in the threads.
bearing008.jpg

This is with the other wheel pointed straight ahead, this wheel not pointing the the same direction.
bearing010.jpg

These are the two halves of the bearing that have less than 10k miles on them with little to no wheeling at all.
bearing011.jpg

Here is what is left of the shaft.

What I want to know is what year XJ can I get a shaft from just to replace what is broken. Mine is an '88 without ABS. I don't mind just doing the short shaft and then a new U-joint and put it all back together. If I can find an axle at the pull-a-part I would take the entire shaft/U-joint/hub bearing all in one piece. I have an extra bearing that I can use now so at least I have that option. I want to convert to a newer style axle but the time and money aren't an option right now because I am walking. Any and all help is great. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
damn man its a good thing you got that stopped with out tagging a pole or something! What year do you have? If its a vacuum disconnect axle you will need vacuum disconnect axles if not i would spring for a set of 96 and up shafts because they have stronger u-joints!

It would help to put the year up I guess, sorry. It was a little hairy for a second but it turned out alright. I wasn't sure if I had to get one from an '90 and older, or were there more years I could get one from. Thanks for pointing out my oversight on that.

Back