• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Screaming- 2nd pump

deida78

NAXJA Forum User
Hi
1989 XJ. I have replaced the fuel pump twice. The first New pump ran silently for about 2 wks, then started whining louder and louder to it was a rumbling roar. Replaced that one, with another new one, and within 1 day, it is whining again. Now when I say whining, I know that all electric pumps make a whining noise, but this is way and far beyond that. It will easily drown out the radio.

I seriously doubt that two new pumps are bad. I do notice that if I unplug the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator it will get a little quiter, but not for long. I also have some elctrical problems. At the ignition switch, one of the wires (the big brown one) had been getting hot, pratically melting the plastic around it. But the fuel pump wiring is not hot.

I am almost ready to scrap this thing.

Any Ideas?:flamemad:

No help here but my 89 has been noisier then it should be for about a year with no issues.

Your fuel pump problem has been covered, without much success, IIRC. Try searching threads for some ideas. If you aren't already, you need to get after that overheating wire problem or you can melt out some important shit. One of the prime heat generators is bad (dirty, corroded) connections at plugs and fuse blocks. Pull yours apart and use electrical contact cleaner on them. Make sure they fit snugly, or crimp them down.

Where did you get the pump (autozone, napa,etc) and what brand (bosch, airtex, carter, etc)?

Thanks for telling me about cleaning all of the contacts, I'll try that.

I purchased both of the pumps from Orielly, the brand is Airtex, with the whole assembly.

I will be changing out the ceramic resister that is in line with the fuel line power supply, as well as changing out the pressure regulator with one out of a junker.

A lot of people have noise issues with Airtex brand pumps. Most people including myself have great luck with Bosch p/n 69302 pumps. It is also dead silent.

Back