• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this CO2 regulator ok?

i would stay away from CO2 since you have to pay to refill it and there are not stations on the trail IMHO.

i would stay away from CO2 since you have to pay to refill it and there are not stations on the trail IMHO.

Most guys don't mind paying $20 every six months for the ability to fill a tire in 30 seconds.

To the OP, it looks like it would work but most go with a 150psi regulator. Sorry, I don't have a link.

I agree with Deadman above about the pressure range. I would also recommend that you get a quality unit with a track record for durability. My research pointed me at a similar unit made by the Cornelius Company which fit my needs and which I found online for around $40. Never a problem. Off brands may or may not hold up and if the cost is the same or nearly the same, it's a no brainer. I really like airing up and being able to use air tools on the trail as well. $17 refill three or four times a year is well worth it for the convenience. And that includes using it to run both framing and trim nail guns on small remodel jobs that I occasionally do. Coming back from a W Texas trail run one of our trailers got a flat. Nascar pit crews could not have changed it any faster than we did with our CO2 tank and air tool.

Last edited:
This regulator will work just fine if your primary objective is the ARB. ARB recommends 80 to 100 PSI and PowerTank recommends 75 to 90 PSI for the ARB. I am running 90 PSI to my front ARB. PowerTank claims you can get over 200 actuations of the ARB per pound of CO2. I don't use it for air tools, but paid the extra bucks for a PowerTank regulator just so I could some day if I wanted. They have a very compact regulator that used to fit only on the paintball tanks, that they have adapted to the threads on a large bottle now. If you plan to use air tools, I would worry about this regulator iceing. As suggested previously, you could probably find a better price for this or equivelent quality regulator.

I have a 4 pound tank, because it fits against the rear wall, where I removed the spare tire mount bracket. I chose this size tank because it is as wide as the wheel well, so it does not intrude into the main cargo area. I ran the air locker for 10 days in Moab and still had enough CO2 left to take eight 10.5 x 33 tires from 12 PSI to 25 PSI at the end of the trail. I got back to NY with 600 PSI in the tank.

There are a few things that I don't like about the regulator above. The first is that you need a screwdriver to adjust the pressue. No big deal if you are comparing it to a $50 fixed pressure regulator. It also only goes up to 120psi. 150psi would be better as someone else already pointed out. When filling your tires, you don't set the regulator to the desired tire pressure. Instead, you set it at the max psi and monitor the tire pressure as you fill it (just like you do at the gas station).

I'm betting that the regulator will freeze up. My fixed 150psi regulator starts to freeze up by the time I get to my 3rd tire. I'm sure you've heard this before, but the tank pressure guage is relatively meaningless. It would be helpful in hotter climates to ensure that the tank is at an unsafe pressure (but before the burst disk fails). Other than that, it will not tell you how muc CO2 is left.

I searched long and hard for a nice adjustable regulator that wasn't $100+. I spotted many beer regulators that just didn't seem up to the task. I ultimately went with a fixed regulator from 'The Source'. I spent another $25 on an adjustable regulator from Napa. I use that when powering air tools. It's kind of nice because I'm left with a small regulator on the tank, but have the option of regulating the pressure when needed.

https://haconten.appieshost2.com/appieshop/index.cgi?hacontenSTORE:CKIE:prodPC2008+

The above is what I run. The Co2 outlet for the air line was too small to hookup to my 1/4 NPT fittings for the air line. I fixed that real quick and cheap with some brass fittings from the Lowes plumbing department. Besides that I like it a lot.

Note: if you look real closely at the picture on the webpage it looks like you have to have a special tool for adjusting the pressure, but when I received mine it had a black knob on the end for adjusting the pressure by hand.

https://haconten.appieshost2.com/appieshop/index.cgi?hacontenSTORE:CKIE:prodPC2008+

The above is what I run. The Co2 outlet for the air line was too small to hookup to my 1/4 NPT fittings for the air line. I fixed that real quick and cheap with some brass fittings from the Lowes plumbing department. Besides that I like it a lot.

Note: if you look real closely at the picture on the webpage it looks like you have to have a special tool for adjusting the pressure, but when I received mine it had a black knob on the end for adjusting the pressure by hand.

That one looks like a good unit for the price!

Going to bring a dead thread back from last year...

Additional question.
I remember (a few years ago) a website from a forum 'member' or 'user', where he was assembling and selling regulators, brackets and other parts.

Anyone remember that website or member?

Thanks

I've been running CO2 for almost 10 years. The regulators with the gauges have been problematic for me. The gauges tend to get broken and the regulators tend to freeze. I run the fixed pressure regulators and have had no problems. The gauges are a crappy way to tell how much is in the bottle. They read the same until the bottle is 99.9% empty. The fixed regulators offer a higher flow rate and work better for impact wrenches and such.

Going to bring a dead thread back from last year...

Additional question.
I remember (a few years ago) a website from a forum 'member' or 'user', where he was assembling and selling regulators, brackets and other parts.

Anyone remember that website or member?

Thanks

It was Formatt. I don't think he's doing it anymore. FYI - he used a very similar regulator to the one shown above.

If you want to build your own CO2 tank on the cheap, pickup an aluminum tank from www.beveragefactory.com along with a 150psi fixed regulator. You can get the regulator from 'The Source' or Williams Balloon (among other places). After that, all you need is some teflon tape and an adjustable cresent wrench. Buy a nice air hose because the cheap yellow coiled hoses *will burst when you need it most.

I have a couple tanks around. Gonna head down to a welding supply store on Wed after work to finish up a kit.

For the fixed regulator, what would be a good pressure for tools and tires?

Thank you

If you have HD air tools, you can go with a 150 fixed regulator. Cheap air tools max at 80-90psi. Just don't plug a brad nailer into it without turning down the air. :) If the bulk of your duties include filling tires, get the most powerful regulator you can so your tires fill up quick. If the need arises, you can always get an inline regulator down the road.

I have been using a CO2 setup from Poly Performance for years with no problems. It uses a 150 psi pre-set regulator with no gauges.
You can check the tank's supply by weighing the tank and writing the filled weight on the side of the tank with a Sharpie. I weigh it after each trip with a digital bathroom scale.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/CO2-Fixed-Regulator-p-297.html
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/CO2-Fixed-Regulator-p-297.html

I have a fishing scale that I keep in the bag with the tank. I bought the scale and the bag from Bass Pro. All the stuff including the hose and tools fit in the bag.

Like This:
489-071-00.jpg

And This:
bass_pro_shops_kayak_dry_bag.jpg

I have a couple tanks around. Gonna head down to a welding supply store on Wed after work to finish up a kit.

For the fixed regulator, what would be a good pressure for tools and tires?

Thank you

Most guys don't mind paying $20 every six months for the ability to fill a tire in 30 seconds.

To the OP, it looks like it would work but most go with a 150psi regulator. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Back