• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you think of this modified Cherokee ?

jonathanc

NAXJA Forum User
My father has been spying this 96 Cherokee. Seems like a good deal for the amount of work put into it, but I wonder if it might suffer from death wobble (5" lift without longarms ?)

Here is the description:

96 XJ 4.0l straight 6, cold air intake and performance exhaust, has additional electric cooling fan, runs great,
auto trans works perfect, rebuilt np242 transfer case with SYE, tom woods driveshafts front and rear with new rear u-joint and spare u-joint, dana 30 front open with larger shafts and spare u-joint,
dana 44 rear spooled with new pinion yoke and seal and new axle seal, brand new 35 13.50 r15 toyo open country M/T(only been run a few times),
approx 5 inches of lift, custom arms built by previous owner, modified BDS track bar with new tie rod end, new tie rod sleeve,
champion c95385 winch(9500 lbs) mounted on a hitch receiver, full exo cage made out of 1.5", 1/8" wall square tubing, comes with extra metal, i was planning on beefing it up in a few places but didnt get around to it, super strong skid plate for t-case, skid plate for gas tank, fresh oil in the diffs, t-case and engine,
rockford cd player with small speakers under the seats

http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/showthread.php?t=39841 has pictures of the buildup and exoskeleton

He wants $5000 canadian for it.

Hrmm, just read about it a little more. Looks like he made his own control arms that are 2" longer to center the front diff.

Last edited:
im usually not one for buying modified XJs. especially when theyve really been built, and you know wheeled pretty hard. but for what hes already done to it at that price, id consider it a pretty good buy.

look it over before making any decesions, and test drive it

The steering seems a little sketch but im cant tell a ton from the pics. The control arm angles are kind of scary but can be solved for 200ish with some drop brackets. Like said look it over drive it, jump on the brakes, and take some good corners to make sure everything is in good working order.

The interesting thing is those pictures were posted November of 2008, and it hasn't been used much since, which means it probably hasn't be shit kicked much. I suppose the control arm situation could be fixed with that Iron Rock $500 long arm upgrade.

From the pics I did not see the full exo cage made out of 1.5", 1/8" wall square tubing. I see a half/exo cage. So where is the full exo cage?

I'm not sure, I've asked the owner to send more pictures.

I'm hoping it should look more like this:

GrayCatFaceLarge.jpg

OH GOD how did this get there i am not good with internets

Exo-skeleton cage with a cat head stuck in it? Wow! That's how you want it to look? :laugh3:

I'd hate to say it but that looks like a lot more than approx 5 inches of lift....:nono:

Oh and the trac bar...yikes...hahahah

Back