• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 axle comparison

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
Which would hold up better, a C8.25 27 spline with Yukon alloy shafts or c8.25 29 with stock shafts? Figure 31 inch tires. Does the presence or lack of of a lunchbox locker effect your answer?

IMHO - The alloy shafts will be stronger than the 29-spline stock shafts, especially if you're converting from 27-spline to 29-spline and buying used parts. Why? Well, the newest 29-spline XJ shafts are 7 years old at this point, and who knows how they've been treated? I mean, you could have gotten some soccer-mom's gently treated street-driven axle shafts, or you could get the shafts out of some crazed wheeler's rig that've been stressed beyond what the engineers ever dreamed of.

Another line of thought is that the metallurgy applied (that doesn't sound right, but works well enough for now) to the alloy shafts is superior to what the OEM used in it's stock shafts. Simply put - The OEM was concerned with cost in bulk numbers, so they went with a cheaper alloy, that was adequate for the uses that 95% of XJ owners would need. Aftermarket suppliers don't have that concern, so they use better, more expensive alloys.

A lunchbox locker will affect the decision, but not much. Especially with 31 inch tires.

:)

IMHO - The alloy shafts will be stronger than the 29-spline stock shafts, especially if you're converting from 27-spline to 29-spline and buying used parts. Why? Well, the newest 29-spline XJ shafts are 7 years old at this point, and who knows how they've been treated? I mean, you could have gotten some soccer-mom's gently treated street-driven axle shafts, or you could get the shafts out of some crazed wheeler's rig that've been stressed beyond what the engineers ever dreamed of.

Another line of thought is that the metallurgy applied (that doesn't sound right, but works well enough for now) to the alloy shafts is superior to what the OEM used in it's stock shafts. Simply put - The OEM was concerned with cost in bulk numbers, so they went with a cheaper alloy, that was adequate for the uses that 95% of XJ owners would need. Aftermarket suppliers don't have that concern, so they use better, more expensive alloys.

A lunchbox locker will affect the decision, but not much. Especially with 31 inch tires.

:)

if ur talkin locked on 31's, id take either axle with stock shafts. once u get passed 33's, the whole 27 vs 29 spline thing comes into effect. the big thing the yukons have goin for them isnt so much the alloy, its also the fact that there are not tamper points on the shaft. most broken stock 8.25 shafts are at those points.

The reason I asked was that I have the 27 spline on my "96. Need to have a spare shaft available wheeling with my local club, its a requirement and probably a good one at that. Don't really want to go to all the trouble of switching out to a 29 spline if I don't have to so was thinking about just getting a pair of the Yukons and keeping my old shafts as spares. From the input from you guys, that will probably be the route I go.

Thanks

Back