• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford hp 44 steering question.

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering if the tie rod from a closed knuckle 44 front will work on my hp disc brake 44?
The reason that i ask is; that the closed knuckle set up is usually still there in the wrecking yard and the disk brake versions are always gone.

Do you have measurements of the closed knuckle steering? i.e. length of draglink and length of tie rod? If you do, I could compare with the stock steering I took off my HP44.

I have not found one yet, could you give me the measurement of the stock steering that you have? That way I can look for what I need at the junk yard.

I have not found one yet, could you give me the measurement of the stock steering that you have? That way I can look for what I need at the junk yard.

Put the knuckles strait ahead on your axle. Take a tape measure, and measure from TRE hole to TRE hole.

Compare that to junkyard steering, and see if they are close.

HTH.

I can't keep them close to straight, I don't have the radius arms mounted up, so the pumpkin stays down. so if I turn one wheel the other turns, it is a battle that I can't win. I need the tie rod to mock up my radius arm brackets. This measurement will make my life ten times better.

This is when you have to think outside the box. Measure the full length of the axle from C to C (you wont have to hold the knuckle and can measure by yourself). Then hold the knuckle in the straight position and measure from the C to the center of TRE on the knuckle, times it by 2 then add your first measurement and you should have a rough ballpark of what you need. Done. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
I'll see what I can do when I get home from work later on with getting you a measurement. I just have to remember.

I measured roughly 55 1/4" for the tie rod, and 42" for the draglink on the stock steering from my '77 ford F150 HP44.

Back