• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone ever had their driveshaft catch

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
a seatbelt bolt? I thought I had my chain in the t-case let loose as it sounded like a jackhammer under the jeep after I shifted in 4 wheel drive for maybe 30 seconds and back out.

Drove it home ~20 miles with this jackhammer noise under the jeep and ~ 1 mile from the house there was a pop and no noise.

Well unhooking the rear driveshaft tonight getting ready to drop the t-case and notice some gnarly wear marks on the yoke, look over and see ripped metal by the passenger side seatbelt bolt on the tunnel.

Some how the driveshaft was able to get close enough to the bolt to catch it and ground away untill it sheared the bolt off..

Thinking motor mounts and possible tranny mount is bad as the fan it also barley touching my new winch mount that was ~1/8" away when I built it.

wow you have some sick movement somewhere!

Not to seem unsympathetic (cuz I've had plenty of goofy things happen to me, too!), but maybe next time you get a jack-hammering sound from under your Jeep, you should stop and check it out before driving 20 miles. :dunno:

20 miles in the badlands, left my wrenches in the shop by accident, no cell service, buddies took off ahead of me (still pissed about that) not much of a choice. If it was a skipping chain it wouldn't have hurt anything as the parts are all ready broke. Was not my choice.

Oh and I unbolted everything I could, put a ratchet strap over the t-case to the cross member is it was a loose mount and still did it. Couldn't drop the rear driveshaft cause I only had sockets. Even so I didn't know that was the issue.

My guess is separated trans mount.

That bites. I really am sympathetic. I once went wheeling alone and managed to get stuck to the frame, with no winch points anywhere, in the middle of nowhere, on a late Sunday afternoon when no one would be expected in the area until the next weekend. I lucked out and yelled to other Jeepers across the lake who came around and, all three Jeeps together, pulled me out. The good thing was that I learned my lesson and I will NEVER go wheeling alone again.

Back