• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ticking noise

LilRhodyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
when my jeep is idling i can hear a small ticking noise... it sounds just like what ud picture a tick sounding like and its about this fast
say this normal speed... tick tick tick tick tick....it never gets faster even when u rev it and it never gets louder... it hought it was an exhaust leak but ive had this noise for well over three months and it would have gottin louder by now if it was that right? so my question is what else could it be? how could i figure it out?

There's a purge valve in the engine bay, against the firewall near the top, on the passenger side. It should be mounted on a bracket with a rubber isolator to minimize noise. The sucker can really put out the annoying ticks you describe.....

Pay particular attention to the injectors while using the mechanics steth. that dr. dyno suggested.This was the source of my tick.They can be quite loud.

never gets louder, never gets faster, and its really suttle..like most people cant hear it untill i tell them and they listen for a little while.. its just constant but really small..ill try that steth. maybe i can find it...

Ivan said:
There's a purge valve in the engine bay, against the firewall near the top, on the passenger side. It should be mounted on a bracket with a rubber isolator to minimize noise. The sucker can really put out the annoying ticks you describe.....
Your most likely culprit.

Ivan said:

could you post a pick or be more specific because it sounds liek the tick might be coming from there but i lookied and i cant really see what u mean

It's the black cylinderical looking gizmatchee in the top middle of the pic below, with the electrical plug coming out of the side of it...

PurgeValve2.JPG

thanks ivan i'll take a look... the noise could possibly coming from the middle of the engine... i put my ear near the valve cover and it seems like tis there but hard to tell...with the hood closed u can only hear it if u stand near the back fo the wheel wells with the engine open it seems to be in the middle of a little off to the passengers side, if ur parked at lets say dunkin donuts waitin for a coffee u cna deffintly hear the ticking noises echoing off the walls...so its there but its subtle....could it be a cracked header or mabe a gasket or something....

thanks for all ur help i'll be taking a look at the purge valve tomorrw mourning

andrew

Back