• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

catalytic converter Qs

It burns excess pollutants coming out of the engine. You can hook up vacuum gage to your intake manifold. If the vacuum steadily goes down while it is running, that is a sign of a blocked up convertor.

It's that little muffler looking thing before the actual muffler. It catalyzes chemical reactions to reduce nitrogen oxides, CO, and unburnt hydrocarbons. The effects of a clogged one would be poor engine performance. They're expensive, and you can sell your old one to a recycling place.

just take it off and straight pipe it:shhh:
j/k

They rattle if the catalyst inside starts to break up. This happened to mine. I took it off and removed all the guts, then put it back on. :shhh:

Kinda' basic, but, hey, I've got time:
(probably should post Qs like this in the stock tech forum :) )
The catalytic converter is a piece of emissions equipment that mounts in the exhaust pipe in front of the muffler. It has a platinum coated matrix that causes(or catalyzes) a break down of Carbon monoxides/ Nitrogen oxides/ and un-burned fuel in the exhaust stream.

How to tell it it's bad:
Late-model OBD-II: wait for a check engine light telling you it's not working.
All prior to the late system with the after cat O2 sensor: wait until you fail a emissions check.

If you start having a problem with poor driveability at med/high rpm, with no other fault, you may have the inside "honeycomb" broken loose, which you can tell by a rattle when you shake the cat hard.

Back