• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

evans creek

reckless

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about going wheel'n at evans creek today but am unsure of what to expect. I have a stock 86 with 30x9.50 m/t, Is it capable of making it through? Thanks, Shane.

yeah, i wouldn't try it, unless you have a winch, or a couple guys goin with in their rigs. I've got 6", 33's and a detroit in the back, and that place is hairy. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but not if you have to get unstuck every 5 minutes.

Did ya make it home if ya went? It wouldnt be too bad for you right now. It's been good weather the last week, so alls fair. Some rain would deffinately hinder your progress though. Let us know. Hey Eli if you're going this coming weekend, let me know...I'll head up with you.

Every story I have ever heard about Evans is about Body damage. Wasn't as bad as I had expected. But in a stock rig? Don't do it.

Why you guys trying to scare him off?

In the dry, several trails are doable in a stock rig without the risk of body damage, others are still doable but may not stay completely straight. I would say rock rails by themselves will prevent 90% of any possible body damage at Evans in the dry.

Now, in the wet, it's a different story...

J

XJCasper said:
Every story I have ever heard about Evans is about Body damage....
That's cause you listen to wusses like Matt. :D
Avanteone said:
Why you guys trying to scare him off?

In the dry, several trails are doable in a stock rig without the risk of body damage, others are still doable but may not stay completely straight. I would say rock rails by themselves will prevent 90% of any possible body damage at Evans in the dry.

Now, in the wet, it's a different story...

J

haha this comin from the guy with 37s j/k its really all on the driver if it's dry. If it's wet, it's probably unavoidable at some point. What kinda tires you gonna me running with your lift?

mud1059 said:
That's cause you listen to wusses like Matt. :D

haha this comin from the guy with 37s j/k its really all on the driver if it's dry. If it's wet, it's probably unavoidable at some point. What kinda tires you gonna me running with your lift?

I'm not running the 37's.... still the 35's.. BUT I've DONE all of Evans in a stock rig /w 235's and open diff's... when it's dry.

And your last sentence still has me scratching my head ;)

J

Avanteone said:
BUT I've DONE all of Evans in a stock rig /w 235's and open diff's... when it's dry

x2 ...on 30" BFG ATs and open diffs with a BB lift.

Also puzzled by the 'scare off' tactics. Stuff was a bit more carved and some trails had changed a little since I had been there last, but I wouldn't hesitate to take a fairly stock vehicle through there.

uuuh that's supposed to be a B instead of an M on me. I have fat fingers, it's a good thing the backspace button is so big....I have to hit that thing all the time.

It's agreed. Evans is easy when dry. Challenging when wet, and a PITA when in the depths of snow.

mud1059 said:
uuuh that's supposed to be a B instead of an M on me. I have fat fingers, it's a good thing the backspace button is so big....I have to hit that thing all the time.

It's agreed. Evans is easy when dry. Challenging when wet, and a PITA when in the depths of snow.

My current setup works VERY good /w 35" Krawlers.

J

ECKSJAY said:
x2 ...on 30" BFG ATs and open diffs with a BB lift.

Also puzzled by the 'scare off' tactics.

For me it was Cooper AT's in a 235 size. You learn to drive that way. After that, the lift and big tires just make it easier.

I wouldn't hesitate to go through there in a stock or mildly built DD rig.

I plan on running 31x11.50 LTB's, right now I just have 30x9.50 M/T. I just got my Aussie locker for the front in the mail and should begin install tomarrow, weather permitting. I have a limited slip in the rear but doesnt seam to be locking up, is it possible to weld a limited slip? Is anyone planning a trip to Evans anytime soon that wouldnt mind a couple of newbies following along?

reckless said:
.......is it possible to weld a limited slip? Is anyone planning a trip to Evans anytime soon that wouldnt mind a couple of newbies following along?

No, its not to my knowledge. They have clutches in them, IIRC, and may burn up. Just get an open carrier, or a lunchbox for the rear. What rear do you have now?

I might be going to Evans this weekend. Paul may come too. I will be going to Tahuya to scout it out for the Noob run. Your welcome to join with me. A friend of mine will be bringing his Mazda too.

reckless said:
is it possible to weld a limited slip?

I've heard of putting an extra friction disc in each of the clutch packs to make it harder for them to slip. I dont know how well it works, it may just burn up and leave you in the same boat your in now. It also may be too thick and you might not even be able to get the side and spider gears back in. Might be worth a search to see if anyone else has done it.
Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
reckless said:
is it possible to weld a limited slip?

I've heard of putting an extra friction disc in each of the clutch packs to make it harder for them to slip. I dont know how well it works, it may just burn up and leave you in the same boat your in now. It also may be too thick and you might not even be able to get the side and spider gears back in. Might be worth a search to see if anyone else has done it.
Ryan

Run a little less of the friction modifier additive....that should tighten it up. You can also try using the e-brake when you're in a spot where locking it up makes sense.

Last edited:
Back