• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Goodyear MT/R's in stock

Avanteone

NAXJA Forum User
Auburn Car Repair & Offroad has the new MT/R in stock in 35x12.5x17" size. Other sizes coming soon!

The 35x12.5x17 runs $305/tire. I will have pricing on other sizes by the end of the week.

31x10.5x15, 33x12.50x15, 35x12.50x15, 37x12.50x17, and 40x12.50x17 should all be available within 2 weeks!

John

file.php

Figures. I just bought what could be the last two of the 'old' 35" MTR's...

These new ones look cool, not uni-directional, but I wonder if orientation will matter?

how much the 31 supposed to run?

There are four rigs up here that get regular use that will be outfitted with these tires (or are already). Testing began a week ago, I'm sure results will be in soon.

J

Cool, I'm excited to hear since I'll be in the market for tires pretty soon. Lots of new tires to chose from. From the looks of them I'd venture to say they might do pretty well up here.

So are you gonna give the Krawlers a rest to test these?

Cool, I'm excited to hear since I'll be in the market for tires pretty soon. Lots of new tires to chose from. From the looks of them I'd venture to say they might do pretty well up here.

So are you gonna give the Krawlers a rest to test these?

I'd love to try a set out, just for fun.... but honestly I don't think they're aggressive enough for me. I don't need a compromise of street manners and performance, nor do I need them to last, my driving style dictates the most hardcore tire I can find, and so far the Krawlers have fit that description. I think Matt will be the best test of them. The 35's going on his XJ will be perfect and will give good feedback on their performance and durability.

The tread design is so different from the old MTR's. I think the old design looks like it would work better. The outside lugs have good spacing but the inside lugs are so close together. I don't know what to think of them, they don't look like a good mud tire.

Matt (IxnayXJ) ran them down in Cali, said he was impressed, maybe he can chime in a bit more. Certainly we'll get an earful after he has a set on full time and has a few trail runs under his belt with them.

I agree that the tight inner tread blocks don't look like they'd be the most effective, I'd guess that was done for constant tread contact as it relates to highway noise and smoothness. IIRC, he said the outer lug spacing was wider than the old MTR, which would be beneficial.

Looks like they may have put some thought into it. The tread pattern looks like it would be good at self cleaning and with the open outer areas it should flex well and perform great aired down.

I need to pick up 5 tires pretty soon here, I hope these do well.

In my opinon the MTR was NEVER a good mud tire to begin with.
It was a decent compromise for a DD that got weekend use. The original design was arguably quiter on the road than a BFG MT and probably not quite as good in the mud however, they did prove reasonably good in the dryer climates and on rocks.

My guess is that the new design will prove similar.

Michael

My guess is that the new design will prove similar.

Michael

Similar, yes... but these lugs really are spaced out more than the old MT/R, I think it will be a definite improvement. If that's the case, AND these do prove to have superior sidewall strength, I think they will probe to be very popular.

Back