• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5" re kit

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
yes i have the 4.5 and very solid at 80mph and even above 80mph you should get an sye if you get the 5.5 just incase

If you decide to go with the 4.5 upgrade to the HD trackbar that comes with the 5.5 kit. I have the 4.5 kit and wish I had the track bar and drop brackets that the 5.5 kit comes with. I love my 4.5 kit but in hindsight I would have prob been happier with the 5.5 kit. They will both more than likely require a SYE and CV driveshaft.

Josh

A SYE and a CV driveshaft go hand in hand. They are essentially two parts of the same upgrade. You won't be able to reuse your old driveshaft after installing the SYE so you might as well take advantage of the opportunity to get yourself a CV driveshaft. I guess you could install a new non-CV driveshaft, but it really wouldn't make sense as it would cost you nearly the same as the CV driveshaft.

As for the lift, I've been running the 5.5" RE kit (short arm) for about 6 years now. No regrets, drives great on and off the highway. I regulary cruise the highway at 80-85 without issue.

You're on an early XJ, you might get by without; but I wouldnt suggest it.

I ran at 4.5 and then 5.5 for a couple of years with just a YJ slip yoke with no problems, went to 6.5" and there was -no way-. SYE/CV driveshaft and I'm set. I can drive as fast as my little jeep will push with no vibes.

If you decide to go with the 4.5 upgrade to the HD trackbar that comes with the 5.5 kit. I have the 4.5 kit and wish I had the track bar and drop brackets that the 5.5 kit comes with. I love my 4.5 kit but in hindsight I would have prob been happier with the 5.5 kit.

x2!!

The 5.5 comes with the drop brackets and much improved track bar set-up.

The drop brackets make a huge difference in ride quality, and the track bar with the 4.5 is a pain. I am constantly having to check/tighten it.

6.5 is a bit much and im set on RE..

so ive decided 4.5" Re with the tom woods i mentioned above... it will cost me around 1600 for all the parts.

this is coming in about 3 months. by the end of april i will have a new rebuilt I6 and a new np231 tcase. i will then get my 16 year old driver dents repaired :p body work and paint about 800 bucks. :D should be done by my 18th bday woohoo! (broke clavical so the money i saved to go to snowboard nationals (which i qualified for :D) i am dumping into my jeep if my im not healed in 4 weeks.. broke it saturday)

Replace np231 T CASE
Replace I6 4.0L EGNINE
LIFT RE 4.5"
33" BFG M/T

Last edited:
Back