• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibes/steering

Nova Wake

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i have to take a trip to Conn. in April, i'm gonna be using my 2000 with a 5.5" lift, i do get vibes on the highway and want to get rid of them all before i go.

What sye/driveshaft is the best for the money and won't break? i don't have all that many tools or indoor room to accomodate anything other than something bolt on. Also my tires like to pull me around a little in the front, not to bad but enuff where you have to pay attension. Also need something bolt on there. I am not rich so i need tough but cheap. My mpg isnt all that bad so im not gonna worry about the gears yet.

im sorry if its been posted before but i am in a rush and cant read multiple forums all day, please don't say search just give me links to proper forums if any.

What transfer case do you have? Either way, I would recommend a hack & tap SYE, its cheap, and it works. Then if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a shaft, you can get a front driveshaft and use it in the rear.

For the front, I would recommend having someone get in and turn the wheels back and forth for you, while you are under the front. I would pay attention to the trackbar bracket, I'm guessing there is play in there causing the wheels to pull around. What trackbar do you have currently? Stock bracket?

What transfer case do you have? Either way, I would recommend a hack & tap SYE, its cheap, and it works. Then if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a shaft, you can get a front driveshaft and use it in the rear.

For the front, I would recommend having someone get in and turn the wheels back and forth for you, while you are under the front. I would pay attention to the trackbar bracket, I'm guessing there is play in there causing the wheels to pull around. What trackbar do you have currently? Stock bracket?

x2. Although the HD SYE kits are usually around $200 shipped and are bolt-on, but I don't know your budget.

Also, could be a problem with your caster up front depending on what your pinion angle is set at. Do you have adjustable UCAs? LP D30? Try dialing down the pinion angle to regain some caster, and unbolt the front driveshaft for the long trip to get rid of the vibes up front.

i'm not sure if you know this, and i'm not trying to be a turd, but with what you said about work space limitations and whatnot, i thought i would tell you that for the jb or similar SYE you have to take the transfer case off and pull it apart. the Hack and tap you dont. I have the hack and tap, and it works very well, but a real sye is probaby a little better.

g

i'm not sure if you know this, and i'm not trying to be a turd, but with what you said about work space limitations and whatnot, i thought i would tell you that for the jb or similar SYE you have to take the transfer case off and pull it apart. the Hack and tap you dont. I have the hack and tap, and it works very well, but a real sye is probaby a little better.

g

You dont have to pull the t-case,Ive done several "in" vehicle installs,it takes longer to clean the parts than to put them in!

You dont have to pull the t-case,Ive done several "in" vehicle installs,it takes longer to clean the parts than to put them in!

Well nevermind then :wierd:... how does one go about this? is there a writeup on how to do it "in" vehicle? cause i might be switching.

Well nevermind then :wierd:... how does one go about this? is there a writeup on how to do it "in" vehicle? cause i might be switching.
There are dozens of threads out there covering this.The instructions are good also,Ive got JB's,AA's and Tera's,they pretty much all read the same!

Thanks for the info, i have a 231 transfer case and, stock track bar etc, i have front sway bar disconnects. And sadly a LP Dana 30 that i hope to ditch sometime this summer for an hp. Ill look into the jb conversions sye, my budget is about 400 or so give or take i could spend more if i really have to but i just want to rid the vibes. i'll have to adress the steering to, though its not bad it is noticeable. I have a cry 8.25 rear the vehicle is an automatic, rides 5.5" lift and 33 BFG At's. Its a work in progress i plan on ditching the head to when the snow melts away and its warm out since its a 2000 but no crack yet.

Thanks for the info, i have a 231 transfer case and, stock track bar etc, i have front sway bar disconnects. And sadly a LP Dana 30 that i hope to ditch sometime this summer for an hp. Ill look into the jb conversions sye, my budget is about 400 or so give or take i could spend more if i really have to but i just want to rid the vibes. i'll have to adress the steering to, though its not bad it is noticeable. I have a cry 8.25 rear the vehicle is an automatic, rides 5.5" lift and 33 BFG At's. Its a work in progress i plan on ditching the head to when the snow melts away and its warm out since its a 2000 but no crack yet.

stock trackbar at 5.5" of lift? what are you using for control arms?

You need an adjustable track bar. Stock trackbar with that amount of lift is pretty dangerous, the TRE is maxed out, and your axle is not centered anymore. You need to replace it with an HD one, and replace the frame side mount as well with a double shear mount. Look into the RE HD trackbar.

Sorry i misunderstood i have the tracbar from the 5.5 skyjacker kit it has. and ts has fully adjustable control arms upper and lower should i upgrade the steering?

for steering, you need to get toe and caster set up proporly. if this doesnt fix it than you need to look at the steering geometry. at that height the TRE's might be at there limit and the drag link and trackbar should be parallel.

Back