• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft vibes when tc drop is removed

viperbluelx

NAXJA Forum User
I'm still fighting driveline vibration so I decided to pull the TC drop just to see the effects and I get a lot of noise in the front driveshaft, matter of fact when coasting downhill you can touch the gas pedal and at a certain point the whole front end vibrates like crazy and there's a clunking in the front. I put the TC drop back on and all that goes away. So with that said how are all these guys running a SYE in the rear and no TC drop working around front driveshaft issues due to the lift?

Yes, but you might need the lowers as well. In fact most people start out with just the lowers. The uppers don't need to be changed out until a certain amount of lift. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think it is around 5" or so. Rough country has some nice lowers. You have to call them for the price though.

No you wouldn't. Have you removed that driveshaft and inspected the u-joints? Its not hard to do and you will be able to tell if they are bad or not. Just move the joints by hand to check them.

check your front and rear pinion u joints.
pull the front shaft with the drop off and see what happens.
check the rear angle as well with the drop off, maybe it also made your rear ds angle worse as well.

If you look at the geometry behind it, removing the transfer case drop actually angles your front output shaft slightly downwards. If anything, this should have reduced your front driveline vibes as it reduces the operating angles of your joints. Obviously the angles are still steeper than a stock height XJ, but they are improved compared to another lifted XJ running a TC drop. :dunno:

I'll drive it tomorrow and put it on the lift at my shop and yank the front driveshaft and drive it and see what I get. I'd love to get away with no TC drop and just a shim in the rear, but I'm doubting that will cut it.

Mark, my driveshaft is also causing vibes. I also replaced the UJ on Friday, but it still vibes. I am taking mine to Chattanooga driveline to be rebalanced on Thursday. Also, you DO NOT want to shim the rear unless you have a CV driveshaft.

Mark, my driveshaft is also causing vibes. I also replaced the UJ on Friday, but it still vibes. I am taking mine to Chattanooga driveline to be rebalanced on Thursday. Also, you DO NOT want to shim the rear unless you have a CV driveshaft.
Uh,you still have to shim the axle if you do any kind of TC drop or SYE kit!

He doesn't have an SYE and you dont need to shim with a TC drop. You are generally only gonna change pinion angle with an SYE and CV shaft. Listen, man this isnt my first rodeo in 37 years. Why do you think his vibes get worse in the FRONT when he removed the TC drop? Could it be because the front has a CV, but the pinion isnt pointing at the TC? :roll:

Last edited:
He doesn't have an SYE and you dont need to shim with a TC drop. You are generally only gonna change pinion angle with an SYE and CV shaft. Listen, man this isnt my first rodeo in 37 years.

Yeah,right! If he drops the t-case,he will probably have to increase the pinion angle to match!

Non CV (OEM Shaft) done correctly.
stdgd.gif

CV Shaft/SYE done correctly.
cvgd.gif

Mark, just make sure your Ujoints on each end of the rear shaft are in parallel sequence. As you already stated, I bet all your vibes are front related anyhow. Remove the axle side of the front shaft, tape up the bearing caps, tie it up out of the way, run it in 2Hi down the road and see what happens.

Back