• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering install w/pics

hippymill

NAXJA Forum User
finally decided on the currie drag link and a rusty's tie rod. got the drag link from red rock 4x4, and Jason there was super helpful, and way cool to deal with. I am impressed with the drag link as it is way beefy. after install and alignment(thanks GoJeep-your website rocks) I am very impressed. all slop in the steering is gone, and everything rides super nice. Here are some pics:

1000287sp5.jpg

1000288lz0.jpg

1000290pw8.jpg

1000291ko9.jpg

1000293pr5.jpg

in that second pic, the TRE looks to be the same diameter as the stock one, by that I mean the bolt going into the rod... so as tough as that rod is, the TRE would still be the weak link.
Granted pics can look dif than they do in real life, does it look this way on your rig?
That drag link is nice and beefy for sure, and the tie rod is bulky too, but I just wonder if you'll be replacing TRE's whenever you bump a rock or stump... if you do that often.
I have to replace my steering setup, had thought of going with the ZJ setup, but yours is looking good, a follow up a few weeks, months or trail rides down the road would be nice.

Looks good and solid man. Just out of curiosity, what made you go w/ the Rusty's tie rod, rather than the whole Currie set up?

slvrmdxj said:
Looks good and solid man. Just out of curiosity, what made you go w/ the Rusty's tie rod, rather than the whole Currie set up?

Price. I was able to bring the whole setup in at about $50 less than the whole currie setup, and the TRE's are easily replaceable at any parts store.

that is way beefy! do you have any clearance issues (at the bottom of the jks disconnect/sway bar axel mount) at full steering lock from where the drag link attaches to the tie rod? i have the stock drag link and a go-ferit tie rod with knuckle flip and i get major rubbing. it looks like the new drag link you have compensates for the larger tie rod of the tie rod. does this make sense? also, do you have a contact number or website for this red rock 4x4? thanks

pro-rallye said:
do you have a contact number or website for this red rock 4x4? thanks

www.redrock4x4.com I've ordered from them a few times with no complaints, plus they're in UT so nice for you. They offer a 5% discount to www.jeepforum.com users, so go there first, find the member redrock4x4 and get the coupon code from his signature ;)

That steering setup looks great :thumbup:

How long did the install take you? I have the whole currie kit waiting to be installed. Were there any gotchas that you ran into?

install took about 2 hours, only because I fought the steering stabilizer bushing for about 20 minutes. That bushing on the RE stabilizer was the only hang up. I didn't even use a tie rod puller. I tapped the sides of the knuckles, the pitman arm, and the drag link with a hammer, then gave the TRE arm(the part with the threads on it) a sharp rap with the hammer and they fell right out. really easy. If I did it again I might put PB blaster on everything the day before.

hippymill said:
Price. I was able to bring the whole setup in at about $50 less than the whole currie setup, and the TRE's are easily replaceable at any parts store.

Makes sense on both counts. Are the TREs the same as stock then?

Back