• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Start

BigDog

NAXJA Forum User
Hey evryone I was looking around and didn't see a place for introducing myself so figured I would start here.

This is our 89 jeep we got it about two months ago and havent got very far yet at all. So far have the stereo and sytem that goes with it put in with a custom hatch we did to hide the subs and amp while using the area for the things that can be needed when out having fun. Just got through puting in pretty much a whole new front end. Things to come are the things you would expect lift, tires, fender flares, new roof rack, paint and all the other fun stuff.

We love wheeling but are new to having our own and looking forward to fixing it up. Any help in what derection to go with things in the future would be great. Hope to be able to hook up and go have some fun out there with some of you in the near future.
CJ

truck002.jpg

truck003.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck006.jpg

Yeah the hammers and jack are going to get mounted down thats for sure.
Yes going to get a lift just not sure how much yet. Have to decide how much we want to put in to it, the higher you go the more you parts you need.
Whats up redleep3

Nice! I am gonna put something on my jeep.. Not sure what.. but something..
Sorry that should have been auto zone. I use BigDog for everything because it is the name of some of the companies a friend and I are running (tattoos, custom car work, and dog rescue) and on top of that I work 40 hours a week. We restore old cars and fix up low riders for people, havent done any 4x4 yet but going to make our jeep the first one, good learning project I think. Going to take a lot of reading and looking in to things want to make sure we do everything the right way.

Ok so had a fun filled weekend of laying under the truck. Started out friday going to oregon city and picked up a set of leaf springs from someone off CL for $20. Got them home and rebuilt them so to speak and put a add a feaf in them, while buying the add a leaf I picked up some spacers for the front. So now I finally have somewhat of a lift on the rig. Got about 3" all together and now I know its not going to be enough for me but its a start. Now I need to find some 31" to throw on the truck.

Here is a somewhat before and after of the leafs. They weren't completely compressed when I took this photo.
lift002.jpg

And now the after effect of the lift not to bad but thinking I want more now lol
lift003.jpg

So its a start and a lot better then what it was. Now at least I won't feel like I'm sitting in a lowered truck or something.

not to bad but thinking I want more now lol.

You'll will think this till for as long as you own the jeep. LOL.

It never stops.

Jamez

trimmed with 31"s.. hurry up man! lift's already been on it for like.. 18 hours! :badpc:

:paperwork

Welcome to the forum, that's a good looking ride height for a mild wheeler/daily driver. I think they should have come from the factory about 2-3" higher than they do, it just looks better. More SUV, less station wagon-like. It's true that many people suffer from inch-itis, spending a lot of time bumping it up an inch or two as they go. I'd recommend you figure out how much lift you want based on the tire size you plan to run and the wheeling you plan to do. Many people are very happy in the 4-4.5" range with 33" tires. This involves less work and upgrading than stepping up to a 5.5" + lift and 35" + tires, and 33" tires are more than adequate for much of the wheeling here in the PNW.

Good luck, your first upgrade looks great.

trimmed with 31"s.. hurry up man! lift's already been on it for like.. 18 hours! :badpc:
Yeah it would be already but don't have the money for the tires right now. Wish I could before the weekend gets here.

Welcome to the forum, that's a good looking ride height for a mild wheeler/daily driver. I think they should have come from the factory about 2-3" higher than they do, it just looks better. More SUV, less station wagon-like. It's true that many people suffer from inch-itis, spending a lot of time bumping it up an inch or two as they go. I'd recommend you figure out how much lift you want based on the tire size you plan to run and the wheeling you plan to do. Many people are very happy in the 4-4.5" range with 33" tires. This involves less work and upgrading than stepping up to a 5.5" + lift and 35" + tires, and 33" tires are more than adequate for much of the wheeling here in the PNW.

Good luck, your first upgrade looks great.
Thank you. Yeah I think I want to go 32" or 33" thinking about going another two" and calling that part of the upgrading good.

So I took the hatch part apart and revamped it, pics of that will be coming soon just finished it tonight when I got home from work and to tired or lazy to go out and get pics of it right now.

So I took the hatch part apart and revamped it, pics of that will be coming soon just finished it tonight when I got home from work and to tired or lazy to go out and get pics of it right now.
:shhh: i gotta get my box installed and have you help me out with that. i want the drawers setup like you had them

:shhh: i gotta get my box installed and have you help me out with that. i want the drawers setup like you had them
Oh wait til you see it now still got the draws it the same as when you saw it just finished it now.

Oh wait til you see it now still got the draws it the same as when you saw it just finished it now.
I know you said its fairly cheap, and easy. but if its not metal, all i can do with it is throw a jackstand on it. :fuse:

Ok I said I would get these up today so I did. I know a few out there might not like it most are not in to stereos as much as I am but hey here it is.

speaks001.jpg

Wasn't to sure what all would be needed out on the trail so just loaded up some things that I have around here. let me know if there is some more things I might need that you don't see here. Got screwdrivers, sockets (metric and standard), open ends (metric and standard), large hammer, vise grips, plyers, wire cutters, pickle fork, ujoints, tie rod ends, cheap tow strap, flares (not sure why I got them in there) light, first aid kit, jack and a few other things. I know I should have more spair parts then I do but thats what I got for now.

speaks002.jpg

So lets have it people like it or hate it let me know.

Last edited:
Back