• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add on power for a 2000 4.0L

How much money are you looking at spending?

Cheap Mods:
Bore the TB out (search for some write-ups on this)
Remove Bug Shield (free)
TB Spacer (many people say that this does not much but if you want to drop $70 it might give you 1/8 MPG increase and 1 HP)
Higher cost items:

Air intake (If you do this mod don't use a oil filter, keep a dry cotton filter, and get a kit that has a heat shield)

Exhaust Manifold (alot of people replace with an APN manifold)
Exhaust work (high flow cat from summit or jegs run about 80 bucks)
Remove the Mechanical fan and install an Electric Fan

evern higher cost:
Ford 5.0L 4 port injectors
Chip (if you like to spend 300 bucks on a few HP)

If you have 3 + grand laying around:
Stroker kit or Stroker motor swap
Supercharger or Custom Turbo (some one does make a kit for the 4.0L for the Supercharger)

What size tires are you running?

if you want more pep and low end TQ then you can re-gear and put some 4.10's in if you still using slightly larger then stock to 32's. for 33's I would run 4.56 to 4.88 gears

Last edited:
Im just looking for overall more power. It is my Daily Driver and some mild trail use. My ideas are:

-Freeflow cat, cat-back exhaust, and eventually header
-Bored TB
-Intake kit
-Gears (I dont plan on going bigger than 32s for a while)

You could always throw a cam into it too... a decent cam and some headres/exhaust and an intake would be a pretty slick setup.

I plan to throw a Comp 68-232-4 into my new rig.

Not to get of from the OP but is the Comp 68-232-4 good for a stock (non-stroker) motor? A quick search looks liek most are using this cam with a stroker...

Back