• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad idea?

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I am still debating what the heck to do with my front axle, beef up the 30 or do with a 44, same with steering and braking. Its a long debate and I know all the angles but still haven't made up my mind about it, not that it matters because I am not ready to drop $2000-3500 yet anyway. However I would like to put some lockers in, my rear should be fine and Im sure ill snap a shaft up front, i plan on getting spares together when i get my aussies but what are the chances it will blow at the u-joint and damage my ball joints? Now i dont mind changing out a shaft, but i am definitely not ready for that. Should i be okay if they are fresh u joints with full circle clips/welded caps?

This has got to be one the most vague questions that I have ever heard. What tires are you running? If you don't get stupid a 30 will last locked on 35's for a good amount of time, all you have to do it know how to drive smart.

-Alex

Sorry i forgot not every knows my stats, its an HP30 with an 8.8 rear and they are 35" ssr's on around 7" of lift. I plan on putting in aussie lockers and the shafts have 760x joints in stock 27 spline shafts with good unit bearings, also has 1" wheel spacers up front. anything else im forgetting?

Go easy on the throttle, watch your wheels to make sure they are not bound up, and weld your caps in. Do these things and you should be fine, carry some spare shafts just in case.

-Alex

If you're worried about changing shafts trailside, carry spares with the bearings already on em. Then you won't have to bust the hub nut.

And I try not to upgrade something that big "just because." If I'm not breaking it, it's good enough for now.

Robert

Yeah thats the plan, some spares with hubs hooked up. my current shafts are on old bearings but are still fine, and one is a recently replaced 297x/760x joint the other shaft is a old 260x joint, so its not a strong setup, nor will it take much abuse so im going to round up perhaps some new hubs and some shafts and put in fresh 760s and weld the caps and use my older set as spares, and see where it goes from there.

show us some pics of you wheeling it in your normal terrain.

for some reason i think you are overbuilding this thing for what its "going" to be used for.

just need more info on what this thing is going to do or has been doing.

Alright, here are some pics. With fresh 760s, will the shafts bust first? My biggest concern is NOT breaking a shaft, remember, but instead im worrying about grenading a -joint thus damaging my ball joints.
pics...

n1398781016_31408234_404.jpg

n1567320377_30981040_5438.jpg

n1567320377_30981044_6675.jpg

n1567320377_30981043_6361.jpg

But it also will be seeing more of this...

DSC_0425-1.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

looks like tellico in the last two. you may not see any of it soon.

carry spares w/ bearings on them for ease of install.

if your smart, you wont kick the skinny pedal too much with a d30/260x/stock shafts and an aussie.

my advice, is to wait on the aussie untill you can afford to replace shafts and ujoints. use the stocks as spares

well i was going to do that, run $700 shafts, then a good stiff cover, then a truss, then maybe beef up the ctrl arm mounts... but as you can see that leads to beefing up the d30, when i plan on doing a 44 (perhaps). And no it would be on the 297/760 joints, not 260. Im just curious if the u joint or the shaft will break first?

joint

how is that possible? if alloy shafts use the same joints, why would one upgrade if the joint is the weak point? are alloy shaft's joints chromoly or something even if they aren not CTMs?

You want the joint to break first, if it doesn't you will twist the splines on the shafts or blow a ring and pinon. The good thing about that is you can't fix it on the trail.

-Alex

most commomly with stock axles, the yoke ears stretch which loosens the u joint cap and boom, they break. So your best option for stock shafts and 760 joints is to weld the caps to the ears. With chromo shafts the ears are a lot stronger and take alot to stretch, which is why they work so much better with the same joint.

Last edited:
Back