• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will I be happy with a lunchbox locker? 8.25

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ 4.0 Auto with the 29sp 8.25

It sounds like my thrust washers are gone and when it comes loose in the snow and fetches up on pavement i get a decent clunk. Sounds like the axle shafts is moving more than it should.

I would think a locker would fix this, i could get a "spider kit" but $140 for thrust washers and spiders is too much for no improvement. If I could just get the washers i'd be happy.

I used to have a 90 MJ with a 5 speed with a full detroit and was very happy, but don't wanna drop the major coinage on something like that when this truck will probably never have anything bigger than a 235 on it.

I would really like to have a locker, but havent experienced it in a auto and never used a "lunchbox" locker.

So think it would be worthwhile? Any good places to pick up a locker for cheap?

The drop in lockers are fine with stock sized tires. If you've driven a Detroit, there are probably no surprises in store that you haven't already experienced:D

I had an Aussie in my last XJ and loved it. It is kinda loud when it ratchets though. I now have a trail rig and I just had the rear end welded.

So will i be able to tell a difference between the full detroit and the lunchbox locker?

I know they work similarly.

I was also thinking of getting a auburn

I just installed an Aussie in my 29 spline 8.25 this past weekend. Install was easy and from the very little I tested it I like it, If its anything compared to my front D30 I'll love it.

So will i be able to tell a difference between the full detroit and the lunchbox locker?

I know they work similarly.

I was also thinking of getting a auburn

I say go with the Aussie. They lock up just like a regular locker when you are going straight. I had 33's with mine and it worked great offroad and the fact that they ratchet while turning was nice. Much better than my welded rear end handles now. Plus, they are only $240.

Don't know about an aussie as I have never owned one, but for a street vehicle
the No-slip is noticably smoother than a lock-rite. It seems to be the most expensive lunchbox however I put them in my past 2 vehicles so I think it is worth it.

Back