• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting started

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
im really wanting to jump into prerunners and possible jeepspeed later. but my jeep isnt setup for it, yet. i dont know what to look for to get max performace on trail, street, or out prerunning.

and heres my jeep in a nutshell.

1994 XJ
4.0 6cyl
AX15 5 speed
NP231 w/SYE
Tom woods rear drive shaft
D44 out of an 87 XJ. With mini spool and 3.54 gears
HP D30 3.54 gears and lock right and shafts from a TJ (for bigger u-joint)
TNT Y-link
Rusty's gas tank skid
Rusty's 4.5" front springs
Big Offroad rear leafs
Rusty's extended brake lines
R.E. track bar brace and track bar
TNT track bar mount
Poison Spyder customs tie rod
33x13.5x15 SS TSL's (soon to be some new A/Ts
Black soft 8's rims
Rubicon Monotube shocks
JKS BPE's front and rear

Get a good bumpstop setup and new shocks down the road. Check out the poly rear bumpstop thread and prothane front thread. Good tech on here.

I'd do shocks first thing, then air bumps if you can afford it if not then poly bumps. You need to decide now whether you're going to run shocks through the floor or not. Then you'll want something with a better spring rate front and rear. Deaver makes both leafs and coils for jeepspeed.

hmm ok thanks, i've wanted to run the shocks through the floor. but i dont know if that will impede any trail capabilities. im still wanting a rather all around DD rig, something that rides good on the road can handle some prerunner stuff. (we do ours in the pastures here in texas, it works well) but still own the trail.

hmm ok thanks, i've wanted to run the shocks through the floor. but i dont know if that will impede any trail capabilities. im still wanting a rather all around DD rig, something that rides good on the road can handle some prerunner stuff. (we do ours in the pastures here in texas, it works well) but still own the trail.

If anything I say shocks through the floor help on the trail. Your shocks are out of the way of rocks and you can get more shock travel with a 16" shock then your leafs would let you use.

I did this on my XJ and used 14" travel 7100's. The MJ springs maxed out these shocks... could've used 16" with some straps for sure.

hmmm is anyone running ORT's rear shock hoops?

Are you talking otr fab? Do they have a specific hoop? Im sure they could make one for you. From their site they look good.

I did this on my XJ and used 14" travel 7100's. The MJ springs maxed out these shocks... could've used 16" with some straps for sure.

Thats crazy man. I used 16s and the way I have them setup I might not have even needed my straps unless I flex really good. I only get about 10-12" total travel up and down but I guess when flexing I could get a bit more if I were not strapped. But anyway I really dont think I get any less flex with my hoop setup then I would have with the stock mounts.

Thats crazy man. I used 16s and the way I have them setup I might not have even needed my straps unless I flex really good. I only get about 10-12" total travel up and down but I guess when flexing I could get a bit more if I were not strapped. But anyway I really dont think I get any less flex with my hoop setup then I would have with the stock mounts.

what leafs are you running

RE 4.5" works good for now. At least till I get some other projects takin care of.

After thinking about this it actually makes sense because I am still running rear flares and can only get about 7" uptravel so if I cut and could get 2"+ more up I could max a 16 I think.

After thinking about this it actually makes sense because I am still running rear flares and can only get about 7" uptravel so if I cut and could get 2"+ more up I could max a 16 I think.

I get 16" of travel from my MJ too. 18"" flexed. Stanley Springs. MJ springs are longer so they have more travel.

Oh my bad, OTR fab lol. You can contact Hellbilly on here, but he might not answer, he's kinda done with NAXJA mostly cause of socal's bs.

But he runs OTR fab, my bumpers and rock rails are OTR fab.

Have a writeup on the install of those rock rails? I really like them.

Back