• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

different doublle shackle question

redneckjeeper94

NAXJA Forum User
Reading through the several different threads about people wanting to run two shackles in the back. I began to think, would there be any ill effects of running a 2 inch lift shacle on the back of the leaf spring and a stock shackle on the front leaf spring mount?

Yeah,real big problem!!

The problem is you have a leaf spring that isn't really mounted to the vehicle, its essentially free floating, and will allow your leaf to shift at inopportune times. It will do you absolutely no good, and will be dangerous.

Oh, and it can also make your rear axle cocked, so that the axle is no longer square under the body, and which will mean you will have your rear steer itself for you, and want to drive itself out from under the car. Not a good thing.

Last edited:
OK I'll give a serious answer now.

You need the front of the springs to be "fixed" to locate the axle on a center to the vehicle. This is what keeps the DS in line and on a proper angle to the T-case. Also what will keep the axle from just swinging around everywhere when you hit a bump?

There are other reasons as well, these are just 2 obvious ones.

Now I could see where a drop bracket would be nice at the front hanger, someone is working on a set of those to sell right now.

On CJ's its common to do a "shackle reversal"(move the shackle from the front spring eye to the rear of the front springs) to help the axle kick over obstacles better.

are you talking about somethin like this TERAFLEX revolver shackles. i know a few people who have em and they love em.
revolers_cjf_pair.jpg

are you talking about somethin like this TERAFLEX revolver shackles. i know a few people who have em and they love em.

Is who talking about that? I don't think anybody mentioned a double-shackle. The OP was thinking about a swing shackle at each end of the leaf, which would be bad, but not a double on one end.

Robert

DONT PUT 2 SHACKLES TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im the fool who did that once already.

Back