• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ swap problem HELP

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I got all the stuff together.

Problem is the rotors (2001 Explorer Sporttrac 4x4) won't fit over the Unitbearing(hub) anyone had this problem before?

Open the center up so it'll fit over the hub.

Well I'd have to have it done with a lathe. PIA
Or I could grind down the outer diameter of the hub to make it fit. I just hadn't heard that anyone else had had this problem. I've done lots of searching and read every post I could find here and elsewhere. Oh well

Yes, they would be different, how much.. I do not know.

I've heard multiple times that the rotors you want are supposed to be from sport trac 2WD, not 4WD. Apparently they're different. Could be your problem...
I'll check on that thanks

Well I'd have to have it done with a lathe. PIA
Or I could grind down the outer diameter of the hub to make it fit. I just hadn't heard that anyone else had had this problem. I've done lots of searching and read every post I could find here and elsewhere. Oh well

I thought you were talking about where the center(inbetween the lug holes) needed open up so it would be hub centric, not the back of the rotor to fit around the outside of the hub.

I thought you were talking about where the center(inbetween the lug holes) needed open up so it would be hub centric, not the back of the rotor to fit around the outside of the hub.
yup the hub wont fit inside the rotor the outside diameter is to damn big.

acording to napa WS the 2wd rotor for the sporttrac have the hubs built in as part of the rotor I'll go down there as soon as they open.

Interesting. The last thing I need to collect for WJ knuckles are the rotors. I also haven't heard about a clearance issue with the hubs and rotors. What year hubs? '00-'01? Keep us posted on the rotor you end up using.

Allright got it a fingered out. I just took a 36 grit flap wheel on the grinder and ground down the outside diameter of the hub about 1/64" is all it took. Just be carefull not to take to much. PIA:gee:

I used 01 xj hubs and 01 explorer sporttrac 4x4 rotors everything seems to be going better now. :yelclap:

Ohh and the 2x4 01 Sporttrac rotors do have the hubs built in

Thanks to FRANKZ once again for the advice What a hell of a good guy.:yelclap::yelclap:

Now on to the next damn problem. when I flip the tre's over and ream out the knuckles the TRE hits the Lower Draglink end. I have teraflex ends. So now I'm off to the store to pickup some WJ TRE's and see if those work. I'll update later.

I guess if you use the older hubs, (pre 90 I think), you dont have to space out the caliper bracket or get Sport Trak rotors. I havent tested that out yet, just hearsay from someone else who's done it.

So what's the reason behind the JKS spacer anyways? Just to keep the axle in the correct position in the carrier and the ujoint in the C correctly?

Yep - it keeps the center of the Ujoint in line with the C joint's center. That's all.
I'm interested in the older hubs bit - but then you've got twenty year old hubs... I'd rather have it all "new"er as long as I was in there.

I guess if you use the older hubs, (pre 90 I think), you dont have to space out the caliper bracket or get Sport Trak rotors.
Ya but then you have to redrill for our 5on4.5 pattern from the WJ 5on5

I'm interested in the older hubs bit - but then you've got twenty year old hubs... I'd rather have it all "new"er as long as I was in there.

Or buy new ones. :dunno:

Ya but then you have to redrill for our 5on4.5 pattern from the WJ 5on5

Ive already done that, took maybe 30 min for both of them. Trace, measure, center punch, drill out.

Now on to the next damn problem. when I flip the tre's over and ream out the knuckles the TRE hits the Lower Draglink end. I have teraflex ends. So now I'm off to the store to pickup some WJ TRE's and see if those work. I'll update later.

K so the WJ TREs fit but I'll have to use the TR flip spacers from GOFERIT
http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

And the TR from JKS
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...6_957&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=FABParts

The problem was that the Teraflex offset TRE's where to tall. So the TRE was hitting the lower draglink end. This would not be a problem if you weren't gona flip the Tie Rod but in my opinoion thats one of the big bonuses withb this swap. hope this saves some of you some frusteration.

Back