• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thoughts and opinions on the land anchor

I've looked at a few first hand and the ones I've come across all seem cheap and flimsy...

I thought about building something similar that would work much better

I had one made out of a 22 pound claw anchor (see link) which is made from the same design principle as the pull pall. It was necessary to use plates to build an eye for the clevis point of attachment since the eye in the anchor stem was too small. The welder that made it for me used to run a wrecking business. The whole thing was cheaper than a pull-pal and just slightly more than the smittybilt anchor. I will post a pic later this weekend after I get home.

http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/lewmar_claw.html

Last edited:
012.jpg

Here it is with measuring tape for scale. Note grade 8 bolt through eye of anchor for reinforcement. Very sturdy but with disadvantage of not being collapsable

Those anchors hold very good in sand and gravel,.... at least on boats.

Why did you add plates to the stem?

Why did you add plates to the stem?

Because the eye on the stem of the anchor was too small for the shackle pin and we didn't think it would be a good idea to widen it thereby thinning and weakening the area outside the eye. The way we did there is a bolt through the original anchor eye which provides additional reinforcement to the welds holding the plates to the anchor stem. The hole the shackle pin goes through is located past the end of the anchor stem

this may be simple minded since i have never been in a situation calling for this type of application but couldn't you just use a sign post (same they use for stop signs and such) driven down about 3-4 feet and use that?

this may be simple minded since i have never been in a situation calling for this type of application but couldn't you just use a sign post (same they use for stop signs and such) driven down about 3-4 feet and use that?

Have you ever had to winch a long way? How long would it take to drive a post, winch a vehicle, then remove the post and drive it in the ground 75 feet further up the trail?

After a long day of wheeling and one or more rigs in a group somehow disabled it would take way too long and be too much work.

I look at the land anchor and pull-pal as something for "self recovery." With a group of rigs, I've always got an anchor point. Looked at these devices some time ago, and decided to spend my upgrade money elsewhere. . . I can see them as useful in an expedition vehicle, stored in with the kitchen sink and sand ladders.

There are certain situations where you can't get a post into the ground deep enough very easily for the post or series of posts to do much good... say where there is a hardpan or shallow bedrock about two feet down, which would also be a problem for spare tire burial. I looked at having three or four posts tied into a series and decided the pull-pal type anchor would be more versatile, which is what I have, same design principle anyway. A land anchor with max versatlity is something I wanted since I wheel mostly treeless areas from the northern plains to the Utah desert, often by myself.

gotcha, like I said, I have never been in a situation calling for this type of equipment. I am from Michigan, there ain't shit here except logging/tank/two track trails and dunes. Rock climbing is a joke.....actually any "rough terrain" here in michigan compared to you guys farther west and even south is a joke.

So it was delivered yesterday....Initial impressions are good.I'll be testing it out this weekend and will post the final result here for all that's interested.

Back