• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's rear disc kit?

It seems like a descent kit, but why would you pay that much? You can get disks from a Grand or a Crown Vic from the salvage yard and piece everything together alot cheaper.
You should also consider you might need to upgrade your proportioning valve to compensate for the rear disks.

this is just my .02, but I would not pay that for something that can be found easily and alot cheaper.

It seems like a descent kit, but why would you pay that much? You can get disks from a Grand or a Crown Vic from the salvage yard and piece everything together alot cheaper.
You should also consider you might need to upgrade your proportioning valve to compensate for the rear disks.

this is just my .02, but I would not pay that for something that can be found easily and alot cheaper.
i am going to echo this statement, and add that Rusty's Offroad doesn't have that good of a reputation around here.

It seems like a descent kit, but why would you pay that much? You can get disks from a Grand or a Crown Vic from the salvage yard and piece everything together a lot cheaper.

this is just my .02, but I would not pay that for something that can be found easily and a lot cheaper.

Thanks Guys:cheers:

How much do you think I would spend on pick and pull parts?

I've not done much pick n pull here on Long Island, but if it's like other stuff, it will be quite a bit more than what I'd pay in Florida or by you. I mean if I could source every thing I needed in one day for 200 bucks, I'd do it. I just dont think that's the case around here...

How much would it be if I sourced new parts?

As to Rusty's I've on two occasions, spent some time talking with him on the phone with him, seems decent enough. I know some folks who have had good luck with him too. If I ordered from him, I'd let him know I've herd some "bad things" and let him know that at the drop of a hat I would call Visa and start a charge back. Sort of very politely, of course, put him on notice. That has worked well for me in the past with guys I was worried about.

I've gone to rustys for just about everything on my jeep and have had nothing but a good experience with him! :) But you could find all that cheaper somewhere else.

Y'know - you Could find all that cheaper. Hell, thats what I did - but I don't think you'll get much cheaper than that for "new" parts. I'm using ten year old junkyard rear brakes - new friction, the rest is questionable. Thats how you do it cheap.
For new parts of even marginal quality, 450 doesn't sound that bad.

I've gone to rustys for just about everything on my jeep and have had nothing but a good experience with him! :) But you could find all that cheaper somewhere else.

Where?

That kit looks pretty good. Spending 450 on NEW parts sounds better than sourcing stuff from a Junkyard to me. I have two friends who run Rusty's lifts and they haven't had a problem at all. One lift is every bit of 4 years old and the AAL hasn't sagged at all! I may look into this kit because I HATE DRUMS!!!!!! :D

That's the same picture Crown uses for their kit - so it could be the Crown kit, or Rusty is using their picture.
Either way, junkyard parts are cheaper, but you will spend time and money refurbishing 10 year old junk to get it anywhere near as good as new. I've gone both routes.

Re: Crown?

That's the same picture Crown uses for their kit - so it could be the Crown kit, or Rusty is using their picture.
Either way, junkyard parts are cheaper, but you will spend time and money refurbishing 10 year old junk to get it anywhere near as good as new. I've gone both routes.

Crown?

Never herd of them. Do you have a link?

Thanks

Sorry should've been more clear, at a pick a part would be my first stop. i know you don't have one too close but it might be worth a drive... But then again, that is still used parts.

That kit looks pretty good. Spending 450 on NEW parts sounds better than sourcing stuff from a Junkyard to me. I have two friends who run Rusty's lifts and they haven't had a problem at all. One lift is every bit of 4 years old and the AAL hasn't sagged at all! I may look into this kit because I HATE DRUMS!!!!!! :D
I've had my lift for 7 years of DD and wheeling!! Still no problems with it. ;)

Re: Crown?

Crown?

Never herd of them. Do you have a link?

Thanks

http://www.crownautomotive.net/

Rusty's is listed as a distributor on Crown's site, so I would guess those are Crown parts.

Re: Crown rear disc kit?

I looked around the Crown site and it was not readily apparent that there was a rear disc kit for the XJ...
I might be dumb...

I also prefer new parts rather than using/refurbishing 15-20 year old junk yard stuff, especially on brakes. About four years ago I put on a Teraflex kit (was about $300 back then); it uses 1997 era Ford Explorer pads and rotors. It looks similar to Rusty's kit, but Rusty doesn't say anything about replacement parts. Wonder if it's the same.................

The words in the above quote will need to be eaten, in the not so distant future.......

Rusty is only reselling the brake kit, so it's probably OK.

Google: crown jeep disc brake kit

Last edited:
I also prefer new parts rather than using/refurbishing 15-20 year old junk yard stuff, especially on brakes. About four years ago I put on a Teraflex kit (was about $300 back then); it uses 1997 era Ford Explorer pads and rotors. It looks similar to Rusty's kit, but Rusty doesn't say anything about replacement parts. Wonder if it's the same.................

+1, I just finished gathering all the necessary parts to do a ZJ disc conversion, By the time you get through gathering all the parts & to do it right replace all the old beat up parts (Rebuilt loaded calipers $115, Soft lines $40, Hardware $12, Rotors $75, New E Brake parts $40, + $100 for the junk yard parts, Then enlarging the Hole in the backing plate if you have an 8.25)
Do the math!
You might as well just purchase the Kit with all new parts from the beginning!

I guess you could do it on the cheap & use all the old parts, but I do not see the point in going through all that work then installing questionable old parts that will have to be replaced shortly!
The only benefit I see from using ZJ parts is you get to keep your Jeep all Jeep!

the only thing that i trust from cRustys are his springs. i would not trust my brakes from him. he resells or sources out a lot of crap, and a lot of it turns out to be crap, so i dont trust most the parts farther than i can throw them.

Back