• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft idea

Spanky88

NAXJA Forum User
anyone try to use a pto style shaft as a rear driveshaft? id imagine that there be some more vibes but its for a trail rig so not too many high speed runs. id think that it be alot stouter and cheaper to replace should the neeed arise.

not sure. i've never heard of it but i have heard of homebuilt square tubing driveshafts for trail rigs that don't see much speed. that way, just use two different size tubes, one fitting snugly inside the other and you can have a long travel slip yoke as well.

I don't think I'd try. At highway speeds, you're looking at at least double to triple what an ag PTO shaft will spin at. Ag PTO shafts also use much larger yokes and u-joints, and turning faster, any imbalance will be magnified.

Cheaper? The PTO shaft on my brother's orchard sprayer runs at 540 RPM, and has ball bearing support splines, and runs something insane like a grand for an over the counter replacement.

By the time you get done adapting an ag shaft, it'll be a good deal heavier as well. The pinion end shouldn't be a problem, but I'd be somewhat concerned about the tcase end being able to support the extra weight.

I don't think I'd try. At highway speeds, you're looking at at least double to triple what an ag PTO shaft will spin at. Ag PTO shafts also use much larger yokes and u-joints, and turning faster, any imbalance will be magnified.

Cheaper? The PTO shaft on my brother's orchard sprayer runs at 540 RPM, and has ball bearing support splines, and runs something insane like a grand for an over the counter replacement.

By the time you get done adapting an ag shaft, it'll be a good deal heavier as well. The pinion end shouldn't be a problem, but I'd be somewhat concerned about the tcase end being able to support the extra weight.

like i said its not gunna be on the highway at all anymore and i wasnt plannin on usin a really expensive one, just a universal typr that the have att tractor supply or somethin. just tossin around the idea really

why go out of your way to make it impossible to drive it on the street?

sounds like a stupid idea, unless you have 2000 horsepower, why do you need the extra beef?

do it once, do it right...

i already have a new dd thats also gunna be my tow rig. the reason i took it off the highway was i started to experiance a slip in od and cant justify rebuilding or replacing a trans on a vehicle with 285000 miles on it. the milage i get with my new vehicle is about the same and my insurance is lower so its now my beater. im also lookin at a sye with the front driveshaft i was just lookin for an alternative.

Back