• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 swap ?'s

XJCRAWLIN'

NAXJA Forum User
Iv got the d35 in my 96 xj, and im running 33's. I would rather swap out the axle now before it breaks and leaves me stranded but my question is, is what do i do with the ABS if i were to swap in an 8.25? Any help would be great, thanks.

the best/easiest thing to do is get rid of the ABS. personally i just have the fuse pulled from under my dash. have had it like that for a long time without problems. you could also swap out the ABS stuff for 95-96 XJ MC/boster combo which is what i plan on doing in the future.

the best/easiest thing to do is get rid of the ABS. personally i just have the fuse pulled from under my dash. have had it like that for a long time without problems. you could also swap out the ABS stuff for 95-96 XJ MC/boster combo which is what i plan on doing in the future.

So with the fuse pulled is the breaking still good enough to stop the truck. or will i have problems stopping now?

waste of time really, the 8.25 is hardly any better than the D35 - just do an 8.8 or at minimum a 44 while you're at it unless the 8.25 is free

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

The 29 spline 8.25 is a good stout axle that would handle his 33's very well. An 8.25 would also be a direct swap, no welding, measureing, setting pinion angle....yada, yada, yada. If you're lucky enough and your pockets are deep, you might be able to score a D44 that came out of an XJ. It too, obviously, would also be a direct swap. The 8.8 is also a great choice however, it would take alot more effort to make it work.

The D44 and 8.8 are arguably close in strength. Each having it's strengths and weaknesses in diffferent areas. Behind those two, the 29 spline 8.25 would be a close third.

hey man i got a 44 for sale. Make an offer... If you would like i could deliver it to you in march most likely on the 21st. I am going to new mexico... So if you want a 44 let me know and make an offer...

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

The 29 spline 8.25 is a good stout axle that would handle his 33's very well. An 8.25 would also be a direct swap, no welding, measureing, setting pinion angle....yada, yada, yada. If you're lucky enough and your pockets are deep, you might be able to score a D44 that came out of an XJ. It too, obviously, would also be a direct swap. The 8.8 is also a great choice however, it would take alot more effort to make it work.

The D44 and 8.8 are arguably close in strength. Each having it's strengths and weaknesses in diffferent areas. Behind those two, the 29 spline 8.25 would be a close third.

if you arent willing to put forth the effort to put an 8.8 in an XJ you shouldn't be on the trail - reminds me of this guy who popped a bead and didnt know how to change to his spare

So with the fuse pulled is the breaking still good enough to stop the truck. or will i have problems stopping now?
Whether or not the ABS is operational should not effect the normal stopping of a vehicle. The only time ABS plays a role normally is when you have one tire that tries to lock up before the others. Not sure about cherokees in general since I have never owned one with ABS but this is how most vehicles I have seen work.

if you arent willing to put forth the effort to put an 8.8 in an XJ you shouldn't be on the trail - reminds me of this guy who popped a bead and didnt know how to change to his spare

so your sayin i should swap in a 8.8 instead of a 60

my fuse has been pulled for a long time and i have had zero ill effects. and i swapped my D35 for a 29 spline 8.25.

and veedub, how is a 29 spline 8.25 not an upgrade? the 44 isnt a whole lot stronger and is MUCH harder to find in a bolt in form. and the 8.8 requires a lot of work considering the 8.25 is bolt in. the 8.25 is fine for most IMO.

so your saying that 80% of the people on this board "shouldn't be on the trail" just because they didnt have to fab up an axle? just because everybody doesnt have the time/money/skills to do something as advanced as fabricating an axle, doesnt mean we cant do trail repairs, even those as advanced as changing a tire! :gag:

that is a fallacy, an invalid analogy at that!

(were learning fallacies in class)

I ran a 27 spline 8.25 for a couple of years on 32"s with no problems and wheeled the snot out of it. The reason I swapped in an an 8.8 was that it was a much cheaper option than swapping gears, and brakes on the 8.25 when I was tired of the stock gear ratio. The strength gains were only just a bonus.

Back