• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tricks to rotating front axle upward

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well I unbolted my upper control arm in my 3 link to replace the bushing but unfortunatly I cant get it back on and im trying to keep everything else connected. I need to rotate axle up about a good inch but this have become very difficult. I had my castor dialed in perfect so I dont want to adjust my uca at all. I tried some different tricks on here except the comealong technique since I cant seem to find mine. Any good ideas you guys have that worked keeping everything bolted up????

Have a VERY TRUSTED person start it up, put in gear, & ease it in the direction needed. Block the front tires as needed.

Jack on the pinion or tie rod works well.

I think the come-a-long only works best when moving the axle side to side, i.e. if you need to get a trackbar reattached.
Always be carefull with one of those, I had one come lose and hit me in the face.

in the past, i've place the jack underneath the spring perch that needs to rotate up. may help to use a 2x4 block (between your jack and the perch) because that's what fits under the perch. then jack up and the axle will rotate in a circular motion.

and once it's close enough, i take the crowbar (or pipe as another post mentions above) and shift the UCA into the axle slot.

I always use a jack under the spring perch front or back depending on the direction of rotation needed.

How about unloading the suspension.

It seems to me that if you need to move your axle "at least an inch", then there is some binding going on and that is why you need to replace the bushing. With mine, I am able to remove and replace with very little effort. I would suspect that your castor is still dialed in and by adjusting your control arm to the bracket, or at least some, you'll be okay. I could be wrong.

my .02

Sometimes you'd be amazed that doing the opposite of what you think it needs i.e. going lower instead of higher, forward instead of back, etc will actually get it where you want it.

I know when I installed new UCA's that worked.

Instead of inching it along under power, have the trusted helper stomp the brakes, then turn the tire/wheel to rotate the axle? (This was a suggestion from Goatman years ago, and I remembered it)

Another vote for the pipe wrench and floor jack.....

Just clamp the pipe wrench, underneath the axle, up as close as you can to the CA mount. Place the end of the pipe wrench handle on the pad of the floor jack, and rotate the axle until you get it where you need it. Have your XJ wheels on the ground while you do this.....

It's really easy and fairly precise.....

Back