• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question for you welders

shawnxj

NAXJA Forum User
i have access to both a lincoln mig 175 and a lincoln 225 crackerbox. i'm decent with using the mig and prolly a little better with the stick. well my question is between the 2 which would ya'll use to weld up an 8.8 and d30? the mig doesn't have the gas bottles hooked up so keep that in mind. if you were to use the stick what rod would you use for the spring perches, shocks tabs, and coil buckets? would i use something like a 6013? or 7013? or what?

for the pumpkins i've heard nickle rods are the best but i've never used them and have no idea what size/strength to use so any help with this would be appreciated

I am assuming you are asking about trussing? If so i would use the stick welder, use good 7018 on everything but the pumpkin. (make sure the 7018 is dry) Use 99Ni rod on the pumpkin. I just read a thread that said it was cast iron so preheat it to at lease 500*f but 900 would be better. You can get a temple stick from your local weld supply. It will melt at a rated temp. Lay about 1" of weld at a time on the pumpkin. And peen the hell out of it. Do this until it is done. Then you need to possibly post heat the pumpkin and let it slow cool. Try to pack it in sand or kitty litter. Just my .02

X1 on what was said above. I have used both a MIG and 7018 on a pumpkin (cast) and have had no problems. But I did just repair a cracked gearbox (cast) at work with 55Ni and it did a great job. Pre heat is everything on the cast, go slow and let it cool even slower.

Back