• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who wants an '00 - 01' XJ?

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I do is who. Specifically a Classic, in silverstone, or white.

All I've had is 87-90 4.0l, 91+ are pretty foreign to me, and the new distributor-less, multi-coil rascals even moreso. I've seen them in pictures I think ;) Can't recall ever seeing one on the side of the road :repair:

I've stashed back a 99+ intake, and a 62mm bored HO-TB. The Plan™ was to build a stroked RENIX + a polished/matched 7120 with the above for an unwheeled '90 project... Since I'll probably have the head (done?) before I got a new-er XJ, would a 7120 fit in place of the 0331? IOW, no issues bolting new junk on old head.

Is the CPS up front on the crank pulley or still back in the dungeon?

Also assuming the new one came with a 231... I've had a 32 spl AA SYE on standby for awhile, I looked around online today - but didn't see any year-split. Does the VSS from the newers fit similar to the old speedo gear/cable? (In the round hole? It's just a magnet & trigger vs an eccentric gear yes?)

What about the AW4s? There is no more stand-alone TCU on all HO 91+ or when did that start? I assume the solenoids are similar, just getting triggered from the main brain vs a separate module?

Other than those, and the million other 'new jeep vs old jeep' issues (like my 87-90+ crash & spares pile being rendered much less useful) What's not to like about a 00-01 model?

Do the late-model OBD2 freak out in particularly expensive ways? I haven't read horror stories here, so I'll assume they are OK.

Been here since '99 and still have much to learn...

Thanks for insight.

Been driving an '00 for about 5 years now. You know about the "head issue". It seems to only affect maybe 5-10% of the engines.(not mine!)
The 00-01 has the low pinion front axle. If you want to jack it up high, the '99s had the high pinion, and lift a little easier.
The only "freak out" I've had so far is a check engine light for evap. system leaks.
The first timed was 80 bucks to replace the gas cap($72 diagnostic, $8 gas cap :D)
The second one required a full day of diagnostic work before they tracked down a leaking seal where the fuel pump/sending unit mounts in the tank($240.00 to find leak/tighten hold down)
While the distributorless ignition is probably slightly more reliable then the older system, it also has that big one-piece coil pack. Loose one coil, replace the whole rail.(couple hundred bucks there!)

I like my '00, and 'not getting rid of it any time soon, but if I had to do it over, I'd look for a '99.

Coil rails are only about $90-100...don't get them from the dealer ;) unless you are good friends with them and they give you 40% off!

Only other issue I've ever had with mine was the CPS, replace THAT with a dealer part - been going 3+ years strong.

I'm lifted ~5" with the LP30 (yuck, I know) but no issues with vibs or anything. DB's and adjustable arms keep my caster/pinion angle in check!

I really like my "00. Figured the more developed they were the better. Since I got mine, I've learned more about the issues. Mine has 120k miles on it, and I got it for $3k after looking at many that may have been in a little better shape for $4.500. A while after I bought it, I figured out my head was cracked too. I picked up a '98 head for $50 on craigslist, but still have to change it out. Mine is never going to be an off-road monster so the high pinion/ low pinion front axle isn't an issue for me. I plan to keep it very near stock to keep the reliability/gas mileage. I have a Honda 500CR for the dirt trails. The XK is to get me there with the dirt bike and to haul me "Up North" for the Michigan winter. If I was going to do it all over again, I would look for a '98 with the better head and the high pinion front axle. But once I switch out my head, my 2000 will be as good as anything else out there for all aroung use. My last cross Michigan trip (250 miles at a steady 80MPH on cruise control) got 18 MPG. So far, all I've done is change the oil and add coolant.

Back