• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaping D35 for D44

desertfox1023

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping my 94 XJ's D35 for an 87 XJ D44. I have around 4" of lift and a 1" TC Drop. I have no vibrations with my stock XJ 30" Drive shaft. The D44 Drive shaft for the same setup (aw4 & 231) requires a 29 5/8" drive shaft stock. The D44 drive shaft is shot though so I'm thinking of just resuing the D35 drive shaft since it's in good shape. I shouldn't get any vibs with using the D35 drive shaft correct? If anything the extra length in the drive shaft should help right? Also will it be a bolt on affair for the drive shaft or does the D44 use a diffrent U-joint than the D35?

Should be bolt on, all XJ yokes are 1310 U-joints.

You should be perfectly fine with the shaft, its only 3/8" difference.

The 35 is the same size U-joint yoke...(Spicer 1310) though it would be smart money to throw a u-bolt style yoke & new UJs on there... especially if the UJs have some time on them

As far as the extra driveshaft length... if your slip-yoke is not close to bottoming out now, it'll likely be fine with 3/8" more spline engagement.

i'm running my 35 shaft with my 44, and i have no issues.

Ya, plan is to keep it cheap right now and go ahead and get it in there. Then I'll be doing a SYE and new drive shaft, and will probably swap the yoke to a u-bolt style when I get the money up. Thanks for the info guys.

Be advised those old UJs may not like riding at a different angle from what they've been accustomed to...

YMMV

Should be bolt on, all XJ yokes are 1310 U-joints.

You should be perfectly fine with the shaft, its only 3/8" difference.

so then a 27 spline 8.25 shaft should also bolt right on right?

Back