• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Improving Gas Mileage

Seasalt

NAXJA Forum User
How do you guys improve your gas mileage? Currently, I have a stock 2000 XJ with Surco roof rack that gets about 17 mpg (at best) in city.

Seasalt said:
How do you guys improve your gas mileage? Currently, I have a stock 2000 XJ with Surco roof rack that gets about 17 mpg (at best) in city.
I just posted all of that info look down a little more.You get better then me I get 10 or under depending how I drive.Only have 31's

Gears in the front and rear differential, generally helps if you go to bigger diameter tires, stock it is pretty well optimized but not for around town, city driving is always lower. My 98 with LT235's gets 19-22mpg but then I don't use 5th gear anymore until I get above 70mph..

17mpg in the city WITH a roof rack and you're complaining???

Search regearing on this site and you'll see all the info you need and a ton of it.

As far as easier stuff, try running some seafoam through your tank. I'm on my first tank after running it through and noticing a pretty good improvement in milage and engine response. Granted, 80% of my travel now is highway(dont have cruise control), so i'm not really in the stop and go mess anymore.

You might also try running a better quality gas in. I've found BP regular gives me the best results, Costco average results (sometimes good sometimes bad), and Hess/Wilco gives the worst results.

Other tips, take it easy on the skinny go pedal. I usually keep the rpm's below 2200-2300 and find I get my best milage that way. Cut the A/C off every now and then when you're doing city driving....windows down in stop and go mess uses less gas than a/c on. Highway is the opposite.

RichP said:
Gears in the front and rear differential, generally helps if you go to bigger diameter tires, stock it is pretty well optimized but not for around town, city driving is always lower. My 98 with LT235's gets 19-22mpg but then I don't use 5th gear anymore until I get above 70mph..
DAMN you must get near 300 miles to a tank huh?

After all the hop ups, pacesetter header, exhaust, bored throttle body and rusty's intake, I am seeing 285-300 miles per tank. Hopefully, I might get more when I put in a fresh fuel pump/filter assembly and new injectors. Though, I've learned how to drive my XJ for economy.....averaging around 18mpg now, even on 35's and 4.56's........its all how you drive.

i am getting 12 mpg with 4.10 4.5 bds lift and 33-12.5 - 15 tires i put in new cat 2 new o2 sensers cherry bomb new champion plugs mopar performance wires and a new coil and dist cap and button and a new k&n air filter its a 97 6cyl auto full loaded sport it has 125 km when i bought it it had 122 km and it was only getting 14 this was before the lift and tires and the life time on the over head console said it had 19 mpg what the hell is wrong with this jeep this is the first jeep i ever babyed and i drive it like a grandma

Last edited:
Keep it tuned. Use good fluids. Drive it like it needs to last forever.

My stock '88 gets about 14-15 or so around town (mostly 1-2 mile trips so it rarely has a chance to heat up), About 17-18 mixed local and highway. About 20-22 highway depending on terrain and load.

Back