• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longest shackles safe to run?

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
Did not find much with the search button.

What is the longest shackles that are safe to run on an '89 cherokee?
I'm looking at running 3" drop shackles in the rear.

This is my daily driver and i wheel it as well....And love MASSIVE flex.

Thanks'

-PJ-

Thanks'

-PJ-
lift shackles

stock shackle is 3" long. 5" shackles provides 1" of lift, 6" shackle gives 1.5" of lift.

shackle are adverised by lift height, ive never seen a 3" lift shackle for an xj.

drop shackle are for vehicles that run their shackle upside down(compared to an xj)

so you want a 9" long shackle?

massive flex? i like flex to be balanced with the front(although its hard with coils front, leaves rear), but to each is their own.

then thats 1.5" of lift.

no problem, but do you have stock springs? an extended shackle allows the spring to "flex" more, so it could kill a stock spring in a hurry.

The general rule -for straight shackles- is measure the difference in shackle bolt centers (stock= 3.5" stock MJ= 4.5", Chevy 2WD "drop" shackles= 6.5" off the top of my head) and divide that difference by 2 to get an approx lift over stock.

In other words, using the numbers above, the stock MJ pieces will give aprx 3/4" lift, the long Chevy pieces will give about 1.5".

I ran a set of the Chevy drops on my stock XJ with saggy OEM springs, and they went to dumpster food in a hurry. I imagine yours will too... but they do allow massive flex :cool: for awhile.

I'm curious about this as well. I just replaced my stock springs with the medium duty replacement leaves from Qtec. They are much stiffer than my old stock set up and I love the way they ride. I am considering running a two inch budget boost with a shackle in the back. Will running a shackle cause my new replacement springs to droop?

Thanks,

ECGTECH

As is my question i want to know if putting these babies on here will destroy my springs...i also plan on reinforcing them so they do not twist of flex at all.

-PJ-

As is my question i want to know if putting these babies on here will destroy my springs...i also plan on reinforcing them so they do not twist of flex at all.

-PJ-

are you putting these on 20 year old stock springs? if yes, then most likely. stcok springs sag without longer shackles. it depends on how much a spring is loaded as to whether it will sag. a longer shackle has a potential to add more load by flexing the spring more.

wold blocks be a better or worse option, obvioulsy they arent good but a small block cant do much, and it wont affect your flex or ride at all

Thanks'

-PJ-

Shackle relocation brackets and a 1.5" shackle should get you where you want, with a better shackle angle than stock.

Shackle relocation brackets and a 1.5" shackle should get you where you want, with a better shackle angle than stock.

what were to happen if i were to just throw these shackles in there?...would my angle increase or decrease? These are about 1.75" lift shackles.

-PJ-

Back