• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 vs. 29 spline 8.25

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i'm going to lock up my rear soon but want to do an axle up grade from my 27 spline 8.25 before i drop the dough on a locker. At first i was going to just go from a 27 to a 29 spline 8.25 because i already have a set of 4.56 gears to go in an 8.25. But then i started thinking about an 8.8 because of the added strengh and the disk brakes... But now i'm totally lost on what to do! Will someone just make up my mind for me please! lol biut really, any imput or opinions at all i want to hear it. And also i'm running 35s and 4.56s and plan on locking up front and rear incase you want to know.

do you have fab skills/access to it? that's what would make the difference for me, if i were in your shoes. you could turn around and sell the 4.56 for the 8.25 for a fair amount and put that towards 4.56 in the 8.8. hope that helped.

Definitely go for the 8.8 if you have access to someone who can weld the brackets on the axle for you. It'll be marginally stronger in stock form, but the aftermarket is huge for that axle. One of these days, I'll probably do the swap as well.

I believe its more than just marginally stronger I'm sure its a lot stronger.
Between the larger shafts and the larger pinion its stronger.
a dana 44 is marginally stronger.
An 8.8 is lots stronger

I'd stick with the 8.25 if it were mine. Swapping it out for an 8.8 is a bunch of work for very little gain. Upgrade your shafts when you regear and you'll be fine.

I am in the same boat except I have the turdy5 in my Jeep and I am trying to decide whether I want the DIY bolt up ease of the 8.25 or the hassle of finding/paying someone to weld and help install the 8.8.

I believe its more than just marginally stronger I'm sure its a lot stronger.
Between the larger shafts and the larger pinion its stronger.
a dana 44 is marginally stronger.
An 8.8 is lots stronger

I know that warn does not rate the d44 much stronger then even the d35 but I really dont trust the numbers. Yes the 8.8 is very stout but I just dont see how the d44 is not rated much higher then the d35.

I've got the 8.8 and it is much stronger than the 8.25 will ever be no matter what you do to it, it's stronger than the 44 for that matter if you compare the housings and the axle shaft diameters and ring gear size (44=8.5"). People are always asking me "what rear do you have in there" because it looks so huge under there with massive pumpkin and 3.25" tubes. The only thing the 44 and 8.25 have going for them is that if they came out of an XJ they would bolt right in. The bracket kit for my 8.8 was only $180 so even that is not that much of a concern, probably worth it in the end.

Last edited:
You may also want to consider what tire size you run, or plan on running.

I run 35s, and am going for the 8.8....I'll have it in a few days :)

Im going with the 29 spline 8.25. I mean , its alot easier of a swap and I don't think the 8.8 is that much stronger, at least not strong enough to make me wanna find one, and then do all the prep work for it and then bolt it in, when i can get a 8.25 for a song and easy to find and just regear and bolt it right up.

you've already gat the 8.25 and gears, jsut add soem 29 spline sahfts and a 29 spline locker and be done with it. An 8.25 will hold up to 35's just fine, at least i trust mine will with no problems

on more for keeping the 8.25. Flogged on mine for five years now, with minimal breakage to chromolly shafts. You just have to get good at being able to pull it apart when it breaks on the trail. The chromo shafts are cheap and gears are easy to set up.

another vote for the 8.25

i was running a 8.25 29-spline with a no-slip locker and yukon shafts on 33's and then on some 35's. As long as you dont drive like an asshat...meaning your right foot is a lead weight, you should be fine. I had the 30 up front locked with alloys too and didnt worry about much. Just couldnt to pick the "full width or d60 f/b guys" line.

As long as you have a welder, the 8.8 swap was pretty easy. Once the old perches were cut off the fab work and install went together in a bout 5 hours and you can't overlook the "free" disk brake conversion you get out of the deal.

If you already have the 8.25" and 4.56's you may as well just upgrade to 29 spline. An 8.25" really isnt too bad, and there is pretty decent aftermarket support now such as gears up to 4.88, lockers, etc. The 8.8 is a pretty good swap too, but gains wont be huge.

Hey i'm going to lock up my rear soon but want to do an axle up grade from my 27 spline 8.25 before i drop the dough on a locker. At first i was going to just go from a 27 to a 29 spline 8.25 because i already have a set of 4.56 gears to go in an 8.25. But then i started thinking about an 8.8 because of the added strengh and the disk brakes... But now i'm totally lost on what to do! Will someone just make up my mind for me please! lol biut really, any imput or opinions at all i want to hear it. And also i'm running 35s and 4.56s and plan on locking up front and rear incase you want to know.

well with my 8.8 and 36'' iroks (factory shafts)I can drive like an asshat and not even blink an eye...
with a little home fabrication I installed mine for about $60.
the rear only cost $150.

Better than any 8.25 or 44.

What put me over the edge for doing the 8.8 swap was when i was looking at locker prices from 8.8 to 8.25. Big difference and a lot more out there for the 8.8.

you've already gat the 8.25 and gears, jsut add soem 29 spline sahfts and a 29 spline locker and be done with it. An 8.25 will hold up to 35's just fine, at least i trust mine will with no problems

29 spline carrier is bigger too (just FYI to the OP).

Back