• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick shock question

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
So i am planning on going up to about 6 or so inches of lift soon. and i am planning on buying some Bilstein shocks for the front and the rear. the problem i am having is that i dont know what size to get. the shocks i want come in three different sizes. they fully extend to 10, 12, or 14 inches. Which should i get?

12 for the front 10 for the rear (assuming your using stock mounting locations)

Ok i forgot about that. I am planning on moving my rear shock mount brackets to the top of the axle for better clearance. and i am installing drop brackets for the front control arms if that info is needed.

Best way to really find out is to pull your shocks and cycle your suspension, full stuff to full flex, then measure the distances from shock mounting point to shock mounting point, then find your self a shock that closely resembles that in their collapsed and extended lengths.

Thats the best way to really find a shock that will work.

alright i may have to do that once i get my drop brackets. thanks for the help!

Best way to really find out is to pull your shocks and cycle your suspension, full stuff to full flex, then measure the distances from shock mounting point to shock mounting point, then find your self a shock that closely resembles that in their collapsed and extended lengths.

Thats the best way to really find a shock that will work.

x2

I bought bilsteins without doing this, just measuring and going for it. Just had to sell them for 1/2 what I paid cause they were too long!

then find your self a shock that closely resembles that in their collapsed and extended lengths.

If I had a collapsed length of 14'' and an extension of 20'' would I want to get bilstiens 8'' shock that has collapse lenght of 14.17 and extension of 22.50?

Or is this too close to smashing the shock when collapsed? Then I would need to go with the 10'' shock that has collaspe length of 15.89 and extension of 25.91?

it helped me to draw 3 pictures, one of an extended shock, one compressed shock, and one midway in its travel (ride height), then measure, then research what sizes the shock you want comes in, then do the math...

the shocks you want dont allways fit... i couldnt get a proper sized 7100 for my xj, so i ended up going w/ a 2.0 RR fox, who happen to make shocks slightly longer/shorter (cant remember which, and too lazy to go look) then bilstein... i am very happy w/ the foxes now, btw.

Back