• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What axle to build, Dana 44 or 8.8?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm mentally preparing myself for an axle build sometime this summer, if not sooner (depends on when my bike sells). What I've been planning is to keep the front Dana 30 and add an E-locker and 4.56 gears, as I have a 242 t-case and I do occassionally use the full-time feature, and I also like the idea of being able to turn on the tight PNW trails with the flick of a wrist. Then I was thinking of doing an 8.8 build with disc brakes, a detriot or powertrax locker and 4.56 gears. However, I've been pondering a D44 and whether or not that would be cheaper.

What I have in store/currently have.
-4" Bastard RC lift on 31" BFG Mud terrains
-Don't plan to ever go bigger then 33" tires, MAYBE 35"
-Want lockers front and rear as well as gearing so I'll never have to change it again (do it right the first time, no I do not have enough for ARB or OX)
-I would like disc brakes in the rear, simple because it's more stopping power and it makes sence to get them. (am I wrong? Does it make much difference?)

With all that said, what route seems the most logical? I figure when you factor in the cost of a disc brake 8.8 (about $350) then add the leaf perches (maybe $150 as I don't weld) it might be cheaper to go with a Dana 44 ($200-ish), but then what about adding disc brakes to the D44? Would that end up making the project more money? Also, what about lockers and gears and general aftermarket support? It seems the D44 is a little cheaper to build then the 8.8, but would I regret it?

Throw some ideas at me guys, and if you have any prices for what you paid for your build, please show me numbers. I'd like to get a better idea what all of this will cost.

~Scott

P.S. I did search, didn't find much.

Disc brakes are nice and all, but they aren't neccessary. With 33's or even 35's I think the drums on the 44 would be plenty. You can use the money you save there to upgrade to 33 spline 44 shafts, and be set with a great axle. Plus no c/clips to worry about, and it's a direct bolt in. Just my 2 cents.

honestly, the biggest plus for me was the discs that 8.8 offered was the biggest incentive. i just finished up a 3000 mile road trip with my jeep (on 35s) and running highway speeds in snow and rain, i loved the added stopping power of the discs

Less than 10 seconds of searching.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-24854.html

I originally had a three paragraph rant for you, but I'll sum it up in just a few words:

Run what you brung and don't go broke trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Guess that's what I get for only searching in NAXJA.

None the less...it sounds like I can't go wrong either way. Disc brakes were my big shift point, but everyone seems to be pretty 50/50 on that.

~Scott

I've got the 8.8 too and I can say that the discs do work better when wet and muddy, they clean well too. Drums with mud in them are useless, drums fade more quickly when used excessively, like wheeling steep climbs & decents when you need them most. Also discs never go out of adjustment.

I would go with the 8.8. 31 splines and disc brakes. You can also find them pretty easily at junkyards.

Disc brake 8.8's are pretty hard to find in junkyards around here...lots of drummed ones though.

~Scott

ZJ discs can be adapted to a 44 really easily, I'm sure you can find plenty of treads on it if you search, I know people are putting them on 8.25's too now. They nearly identical to 8.8 brakes.

i don't know how things are in WA, but i'm pretty jealous. i'd love to find an xj 44! those 8.8's are everywhere in tn.... i've heard that 8.8 axle shaft diameter is even smaller than dana 35's, but i'm not sure how accurate that is. the housing on those is huge, though. i have a lot of friends down here that found 8.8's that came with a limited slip, and 4:10's. they all left the axle alone, and ran 35's with no problems. i'm just sayin you could save a lot of money if you didn't want to be the baddest cat on the trails... btw, you could get a disc brake, 4:10 limited slip down here for $150, and just lock and regear the front end, nd 33's would be perfect. 35's wouldn't be far from perfect and you'd have a great setup for less than a grand, if you did things right. tractor supply company's trailer section has everything you'd need for spring and shock mounts. you should learn to weld, too. it's super fun and easy once you actually give it a try. just get a friend to teach you. if you were closer, i'd weld them on for free, just cuz it's fun...

Back