• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

took my xj in today for a new windshield seal and..

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
they tell me they cant re-seal it because it'd involve breaking mine so i gotta buy a new one they say. any ideers on this? its leaking all into my headliner and filling up my floor with aqua :( my windshields in good condition by the way

idk about that...

Normally they just take a piece of piano wire and cut around the old rubber, pull the window, replace with new seal, and your good to go.

Im not sure why it would involve breaking the window unless XJs windows are set differently...

Heres a "how to" on replacing glass: http://www.ehow.com/how_2062848_replace-cars-windshield.html

Shouldnt be too hard.

take it to someone who wants money! They should be able to take it out no problem. :dunno:

the guy that replaced my window works on jeeps alot and at first was going to use glass out of a cherokee he had sitting but he ended up breaking the window trying to take it out. he said that its a common thing when removing the glass. but i'm sure a good reputable shop could handle doing it without much risk of breaking it.

its not to bad using the wire to take it out. i used to work at a junkyard and had to take a few windshields out and we just heated the rubber up a little before we started and it made it a little easier. dont heat it up to much tho it usually doesnt end well.. but since it was a junkyard car i didnt care to much about breaking it i just found another car :shhh:

For some reason almost all jeep windshields even the new ones break easier then other. I think it has something to do with the box shape. I would still take it to someone else, and get a second opinion. But be prepared, because even if they say they can do it, it may break anyway.

Its a crap shoot, from a glass guy. It is VERY difficult to get it out in 1 piece. You have to remember that your windshield is only 1/8" glass stuck to another piece of 1/8" glass with a plastic sheet. It is difficult to put something through the glass but very easy to crack it. Nobody, no matter how long they take can guarantee you that they can get it out without cracking it, period. There is no tool, no gadget, no piano wire or air powered cutter that will do it. 5% of the time the tech may get lucky but the extra time it would take him to even try is not worth the cost of the glass. Trust me.

Guess i got lucky... Pulled my original 1971 240Z's glass front and rear with a piano wire and a buddy. Didnt have any problems at all.

i pulled one out of my '88 no problem. I used the harbor freight removal tool kit with the guy who came to get the windshield and we tag-teamed it and got it out in one piece. It's basically a piano wire with handles.

It wasn't easy, but we managed and luck helped out.

When I bought my XJ used a few years ago, it had a large windshield air leak on passenger side. I brought it to the glass shop the dealer used and they pumped in sealant. The air noise was reduced, but not eliminated. The dealer agreed to replace the seal at the glass shop. The glass shop ordered a new windshield "just in case". Yep, the windshield broke and they had to put the new one in. Luckily the dealer paid for it all.

Fran

I think they break easy too. my buddy smacked mine with his hand, not even that hard and the whole windshield spider webbed with cracks. and I didn't even have any chips in it.

my 86 seal was bad and i got mine out with no problem. but i re did the seal and it leaks above my steering wheel but i got to pull it back out to but in my 92 xj. just as long as u take ur time and push at the same time lightly it will come out no problem

Umm, all the windshields are glued in, right? The trim comes off, chrome or glass. Once off, you can see exactly where the glass is leaking when you run a garden hose at that point. Mark it, the windshield shop can squeeze in more sealant to stop the leak.

Reinstall trim and drive. No removal.

Have I missed something?

It is a 50/50 proposition with any windshield.

Any reputable shop will tell you that up front, but they will try and remove it without breaking it.

I wouldn't trust a shop that says it will absolutely break, they are either too lazy, incompetent, or would rather just sell you a new windshield.

Umm, all the windshields are glued in, right? The trim comes off, chrome or glass. Once off, you can see exactly where the glass is leaking when you run a garden hose at that point. Mark it, the windshield shop can squeeze in more sealant to stop the leak.

Reinstall trim and drive. No removal.

Have I missed something?

ehh...

Its kinda like saying, "I have a coolant leak, seems to be coming from the water pump gasket. I'll just smear a bunch of RTV over it and that will stop the leak."

While it will probably stop the leak, your not actually fixing the problem.

well i can get the one pulled put in the 92 glued in all for 40 bucks at a shop. the reason y it was leaking was some one messed with the glue before we put the window back in

Back