• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MAX Travel

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a suspension kit that will allow for max travel & lowest COG

I need the travel to go through the whoops & the low COG to drive over 50 deg dunes.

I like the the Full Traction long arm alot but its a long before I be able to regear so I will be sticking to my 235s :bawl:.

My question is can I install the kit with stock bumpstops ??

Any advice ???

Sorry I missed this. Yes you can install the kit with stock bump stops, or rather it'll come with what it needs, which may be bump stop extensions. Also, it's not extremely important that you regear immediately after tires. I'm still running around on stock gears with my 33's and my Jeep does fine.

yeah when i first was looking for lift kits i wanted 33s really badly but so many people told me that i would have to regear soon as possible but i got 33s and stock gears for almost a year now and it runs fine worst is just long hills. I wouldnt be so sketched about not regearing. Its no biggie. imo.

In my case regearing is a must, I want to regear with 235s :)

in the soft sands the tranny slippage is to much, not to mention trying to climb a 50ft sand dune with slippery sands !!!

I am trying to keep a low COG which is a great advantage of the XJ, its very forgiving on the dunes.

4low ???????

I only put it in LOW when I am stuck in the sand I use it to get my self out at 1000~1500 rpm.

Any faster than that in 4LOW then I am digging for OIL & will be spending a long time trying to get myself out.

Whats obvious is that the terrain in the sahara & the baja or glamis have almost nothing in common.

here is an idea of what i am talking about

Stuck.jpg

Momken7adYe3barni.jpg

Coneasmallone.jpg

IMGP1851.jpg

Your dunes look like ours here on the Oregon coast. Very soft and fluffy nothing like Glamis or mid west sand.

Why not run that lift and a set of 275/60r 15 tires on 10" wide wheels? The tire total hight would be the same but the tread face would have a massive foot print when aired down to about 5 psi. The foot print is what you need when you don't have the power to spin paddle tires. I have even seen people use common worn out drag slicks. Or check out the 1200 desert track, they are 1 in taller on a 10" wheel then a 235 so if you installed them on a 12" wheel you would be closer to 28" or shorter. I think i'm going to get the 1450's for mine 30".

Dave

Last edited:
I DO REALLY FINE/SOFT SAND DUNES IN THE NORTH OF MEXICO SAMALAYUCA DUNES. ON MY FRONT (235'S) I AIR DOWN TO 15 p.s.i. AND, REAR (31 X 10.5) I AIR DOWN TO 12 p.s.i. PLUS, TESTING BOTH HIGH LOW RANGE I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT LOW WORKS BEST FOR ME. IN THE PIC'S I SEE THE TOYOTA & THE CJ BUT NO XJ:smoker:. FINALLY, TRY TO BE A WEIGHT WEENIE ON YOUR RIG. THE LIGHTER IT IS THE EASIER TO FLOAT ON SAND.
I HOPE THIS HELPS & I'M STILL TESTING & LEARNING

MY RIG IS STILL SUPER STOCK EXCEPT FOR THE TIRES MENTIONED.

TO ADD A QUESTION THOUGH TO THE MASTERS, IF I MAY HUMBLY. HOW MUCH WEIGHT IS ADDED +/- WITH A SAY 3" LIFT RC / R.E. AND FOR THE PENALTY IN SAND ON STOCK ENGINE / TRANNY IS IT WORTH IT ???

THX IN ADVANCE AND YES I FIRST PLAN TO DO $300 BUCKS IN BETTER COLD AIR - EXHAUST(GLASS PACK)- TRANS & ENGINE COOLERS BEFORE SUSPENSION MOD'S IF CHANGE LEFT OVER MAYBE ELECTRIC FANS FROM TAURUS. CHEER'S & BEER'S:cheers:

08037g.jpg

these dunes were the dunes used in the movie dune (way back) 1980's. nothing big (20 to 120ft. steep climbs every one of 'em) I guess but this is what I deal with on the sandy weekends.
check the links if you like to see what set ups are commonly used here.

any one out there want to help with my previous questions posted concerning 3" lift weight vs float-ation loss . I be guessing larger shocks, springs, leafs, add some value of weight thus, floatation loss. stock 4.0 and tranny for now.
:worship:

http://images.google.com.mx/imgres?...org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&start=18&um=1

http://images.google.com.mx/imgres?...org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&start=36&um=1
:cheers:

pharaoh do your a/t ? tires have side wall tread like a bfg a/t??? also behind rear dif weight (like the spare wheel) is great for rear latch protection... but I read somewhere that the farther back you go the more leverage for dig in's out on the dunes. so, maybe spare can fit in cargo area with the other stuff for dune riding

pharaoh do your a/t ? tires have side wall tread like a bfg a/t??? also behind rear dif weight (like the spare wheel) is great for rear latch protection... but I read somewhere that the farther back you go the more leverage for dig in's out on the dunes. so, maybe spare can fit in cargo area with the other stuff for dune riding

I dont think they do, they are pirelli scorpion ATs I like the tread pattern but it is not heavy duty although my last set lasted 60k miles & changed them for safety.

As for the tire carrier it is a mopar & it saves more place in the cargo area specially when you have 25 galons of fuel + luggage

any one out there want to help with my previous questions posted concerning 3" lift weight vs float-ation loss . I be guessing larger shocks, springs, leafs, add some value of weight thus, floatation loss. stock 4.0 and tranny for now.
:worship:

http://images.google.com.mx/imgres?...org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&start=18&um=1

:cheers:
The extra tire size you'll be able to fit with a lift ought to more than outweigh any negative impact of the weight. I know my XJ floated better in the sand with a BB and 30's than it did stock, now it floats way better with a 6" lift, 33x12.50s, and extra weight from skidplating and heavier duty components.

I would reccomend a 3" lift, drop bracket (will increase your downward travel) and 32's. Chop your fenders as much as you can (increases how high you can tuck your wheels) or get flared fenders and get rims with extra backspacing or spacers.

4Lo now and 4Lo with 33's will be an entirely different gearing, to the wheel, and you will understand Crazy Jims point.

I am running a 4.5" lift and 33's on a stock backspacing (moab rims) and I definatly feel a little funny getting sideways to a dune. Also regeared to 4.10's which is nice so I stay in Hi.

All this said unless your interested in created a split axel A arm set up like toyotas have... more travel with less lift... but Ims guessing thats not an option...:)

Depending on your terrain, 3" lift and drop brackets may end up snagging on more stuff. Below 4" or so, you'd likely be good with some adjustable control arms so you can fine tune length.

Indeed, the drop brackets on 3" of lift would not be good for rocky terrain. This guy wants MAX travel with min lift and plans on dune riding. snaggin on sand is not to bad...

Back