• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone run an MSD ignition system???

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
I am confused as to what I need to redo my Ignition system.

I want to go with MSD Offroad Ignition however one site said it fits my 96 XJ Country 4x4 4.0L truck and another said it didn't.

Plus, do I need a Rev Limiter?

What wiring harness do I need?

The MSD coil is easy. The Cap, Rotor, and Wires are easy.

Has anyone installed this system. If so what products are you using and what do I really need to get.

I'm replacing everything. Thanks.

Why do you feel that you need this. If it is just to say "hey I run MSD" don't bother. Just my .02... That money could be spent better else where. Yes a few, not me, have run them. If you are just stock everything else the stock ignition will run just fine. Yes some will argue some will agree, we all have our opinions. Alot of people that run the stroker motors are running the stock ignition with no problems at all.

stroker here, with nothing but quality plugs, wires, cap, and a good coil. MSD is ok but not necessary. I have been thinking about adding it, but only because I want to move to a new computer system and I would need it to help the computer's ignition cycle.

Spend the $300ish on a good tuneup, oil change, and other stuff, you will like it better.

If you are just looking for the sticker get the msd dodge/jeep coil and call it a day

I have:
99 intake manifold
62mm throttle body
K&N cold air intake
Exhaust header
2.5 CatBack Exhaust
8.5 MSD wires
Stock Coil
High performance plugs (100,000 mile)
3 row radiator (all metal)
Oil cooler
trans cooler
Lift, etc. etc.

All on my '96 XJ

I would like to go with a stronger Ignition because I was told my spark was a bit weak yesterday by my friend when he checked it for me.

Also, I will be putting in a stroker 4.9 / 8.1 Compression from Titan in October. My step dad has friends there and I thought I would get ahead of myself since another person said I had to replace the ICBox.

My XJ is an all around trail XJ: Rock, sand, mud.

I will buy the MSD Cap and rotor if they have one

or

an ACCEL brand

Brass or Copper? I have NAPA cap and rotor now.

I have 8.5 MSD wires. I don't think I will need to replace them. only 6 mo. old.

I will change out the plugs and gap them wider.

Thanks

as long as it has brass or copper contacts you will be fine.

your friend saying your ignition is weak, did he tell you how he knows or is he just guessing. Either way toss a new coil or an MSD coil in there and call it done. Like I said my stroker runs fine with the stock ignition and an Advance Auto Parts Coil

Last edited:
I will go with the MSD coil, too.

I had an Accel Super coil in it until 2 weeks ago when the XJ was giving me trouble. Took it out and it had a big crack in it.

I put in a new stock one.

Yea, I worked parts all through college and really liked the accel stuff when I first got there, it started as some quality parts for a good price. But over the last few years they have really been cutting their quality level down.

I'm having trouble finding a MSD cap and rotor for my XJ.

Quality isn't what it used to be.

Only 3" lift now (going to lift it 2 more inches and run 33s), extended bumpstops, 32" tires

have 3.55 gears, going to 4.10s

Not really looking for power, just want a good mud slinger that will run smooth.

IMHO you would do best to just ensure good grounds all through the engine compartment and a good tune with quality parts. Make sure the same materials are used for the cap and rotor contacts. Even with a stroker you will be fine with a good stock coil. The only time you would really need a hotter spark is if you were gonna supercharge. That being said, you may see slightly better mileage from a multiple spark ignition like the MSD.

Thanks everyone for all the good input. GTG now. Keep the thread going. I will check it tomorrow. Thanks.

one thing I forgot. The MSD boxes have picked up a new saying on the performance forums I am on. May Suddenly Die. A lot of people have had problems with the normal 6 boxes cutting out.

I registered at the MSD Forum and there were lots of people with problem boxes so I am definitely not interested anymore. Thanks.

I remember reading that HESCO recommends stock ignition to 300 horsepower, upgrades after that. The Titan 4.9 puts down 328 or some such, no? Upgrade at the same time, don't worry till the monster-6 is in there...

Back