• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much compression does a 4.0 need to run good?

winterbeater

NAXJA Forum User
I know that the FSM says that compression should be 120 to 150 PSI. The old standby used to be that you needed at least 100 PSI (for old beater motors), but I've also seen motors that wouldn't run at 100 PSI until they were re-ringed to raise compression back up. What is the lowest compression anyone has checked on a 4.0 that still runs good?

you want all cyl to be within 10% from high to low so you could possibly have 50psi and run good but no power. tell us what you are finding

some old engines had 6:1 compression (old flathead engines). That's low enough they could almost run on kerosene/diesel (via spark ignition. diesels use the hot comressed air from 20:1 or so compression to instantly ignite the air as it injects fuel at compression TDC)

my buddies rig has only 70-75 psi per cylinder - and we even checked the gauge on another motor for acuracy and it runs like a top - its an 88 4.0 with over 500k on the unrebuilt motor - I mean its by no means a power house but for the past 150-200k its been running 35's and it still gets up and goes - oh, and it gets about 15MPG

you want all cyl to be within 10% from high to low so you could possibly have 50psi and run good but no power. tell us what you are finding

I haven't needed to check mine, but one guy reported his poor running 4.0 had 120 PSI and most other reports have been higher. I wondered if that could be his issue, but I doubt it now.

I haven't needed to check mine, but one guy reported his poor running 4.0 had 120 PSI and most other reports have been higher. I wondered if that could be his issue, but I doubt it now.

must be another issue because I have personally seen it at 70-75 and still running good - probably because they are all that low so its equal

Back