• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Storage / Sleeping platform

XJ_Otto

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been wanting to get working on a platform for the rear of my Jeep, for storage under, and a sleeping surface on top. Here's what I came up with. The front platform section would be removable to allow use of the rear seats, as it is a DD. The rear platform could stay in all the time, however. Id like to get some input from you guys and gals. Thanks!
*Its not to scale and it was done with MS Paint, so be easy..ha.

RearPlatform1.jpg

RearPlatform2.jpg

I know Ive been starting a lot of threads lately and asking a lot of questions. I appreciate everyones help.

I think the one critical measurement that you are missing is the distance between the platform and the roof. It's a novel idea, but I think that money would be better spent on a decent tent and a warm sleeping bag. I'm not sure how tall you are but you can still sleep inside the jeep if the weather gets too ridiculous. I've done it a few times with my wife when it got down to 20 degrees. Otherwise you have much more comfortable sleeping arrangements outside.

How tall are you? :)
Billy

Def. too tall to sleep sprawled out, but head in a corner and feet in the opposite corner would be alright. Im 6'2"...ha.

Markos, 11" off the floor leaves plenty of room between the platform and the ceiling. But I understand what you are saying about the other stuff.

As a storage device, still good usage of space though?

The times I've slept in mine I removed the rear seat bottom and put it across the front seats, folded down the rear seatbakck, laid out an air mattress, and was okay by a couple of inches. The rear seat bottom interferes with your head, unless you're maybe 5'7" or shorter. I'm 6'0", and the above worked okay. Not sure if two extra inches in height would render it uncomfortable.

The times I've slept in mine I removed the rear seat bottom and put it across the front seats, folded down the rear seatbakck, laid out an air mattress, and was okay by a couple of inches. The rear seat bottom interferes with your head, unless you're maybe 5'7" or shorter. I'm 6'0", and the above worked okay. Not sure if two extra inches in height would render it uncomfortable.

That is what i did last time i slept in mine but i think with an air mattress it will be ok with out removing the seat bottom. With out an air mattress that seat bottom makes it really uncomfortable for me at 5'9"

Ive been wanting to get working on a platform for the rear of my Jeep, for storage under, and a sleeping surface on top. Here's what I came up with. The front platform section would be removable to allow use of the rear seats, as it is a DD. The rear platform could stay in all the time, however. Id like to get some input from you guys and gals. Thanks!
*Its not to scale and it was done with MS Paint, so be easy..ha.

RearPlatform1.jpg

RearPlatform2.jpg

I know Ive been starting a lot of threads lately and asking a lot of questions. I appreciate everyones help.

Are the measurements correct?

I have slept in the rear of mine before, but it wasnt comfy. I am 6'1". I also have my rear seat completely removed and my platform is more or less permanent.

DSCN0429.jpg

Now I sleep in style, and leave the cargo area for .... well... cargo.

DSCN0711.jpg

~James

Re: Drawing

that is cool!!!! what is it and where do i get????

Um, it's a drawing. I don't think you get it... :looney:

If you would like, you can build your own platform ;)

I would def. remove the rear seat bottom, so the platform would extend to the front seats.

FlesdXJ, those measurements are correct. These are for my 98 XJ.

StumpXJ, I dont have a grand or more for a roof top tent, but I def. want one! ha. Very nice setup though.

Crosbike, thats nice, but a little high up for me.

It would work to fold the front seats forward and add another section when sleeping. That could gain maybe an extra foot with the seats leaned and moved all the way forward.

Last edited:
I think you're going for too tall of a setup. I plan on doing something similar, but only at the height of the wheel arches.

The height of the wheel arches is around 9-10" so its not that high above that. And the 11" height is the top surface to the floor. I dont think theres a whole lot of room to move down and go over the arches. Ive checked this measurement though, and if you take a tape measure out and look at 11", its not that high.

Ok, heres the version with the seat forward, and the extra panel in place, gaining 10", for an overall length of 68". The picture shows the front seat leaning forward, but on my 98, the do not do this. They just lean up near vertically, and scoot forward a bit. There would also be 25" between the top of the platform and the ceiling, so thats plenty of room.

RearPlatform2-2.jpg

Last edited:
I am thinking of doing something like this in mine as well. The only thing is i have to be able to have the back seat up for my 2 year old to ride in there... I am not sure how much she will be going with me wheeling but i use my jeep around town when i dont want to drive my dodge. So i am thinking of a way i can make it collapsible. Also not sure if you thought of this but the rear plastics, if you take them off, there is a lot of storage in those areas!!! I used to have a huge black box i used for my hatchet, small shovel, sludge hammer, fix a flat, recovery strap, canteens, first aid kit, sleeping bag, and a few more stuff and now all of that fits in those areas!!! That was one of the best ideas i thought of lol...

What type of wood are you planning on using? I dont want to add too much weight in the back of my jeep. That is one of the only things stopping me from doing it

honestly the only way to go is to sleep in the back of the jeep, i sleep in mine every time i go out and i love it. take out the rear seat put it into the front compartment,(theres plenty of room, in case of rain). Me and the gf have no problem, my Buddie 6foot, slept in and said it was ok just had to put our feet in the middle together and heads in the corners. Put a twin mattress in the jeep, no wind noise or setting up tents.
l_1038c77dc8da4ee68bb445ed3da9b6ce.jpg

l_f4bee3ee27d14f4793c868df737c2bcb.jpg

not the best pictures but you can get the idea

I thought about having my front seat mounts being 2x2 1/4" box that layed in some 1/4" channel that was mounted to the floor. Then I could have a couple of trailer hitch pins on each seat to pull, remove the entire seat in seconds, and fold down a section from the rear storage compartment that would extend to the steering wheel. That would give PLENTY of sleeping room for an air mattress and the tallest person.

Even if you had a newer XJ with a tall console like his below, you could have either two separate halves that folded down on either side of the console, or just have one side and one removable seat:

Back